FOUR

INDEPENDENCE INN KITCHEN
There is smoke coming out of the broken stove as some workers start to remove it. Sookie sits sadly at the counter.

"I swear I don't know what happened." Sookie said to Lorelai as she sat on at the counter.

"It's not important." Lorelai said as she sighed off on some papers.

"I made that dish a hundred times. It never exploded." Sookie kept on going.

"Please, forget it." Lorelai said wanting the whole thing to be over.

"Oh, God, I killed a Viking. Oh, you should fire me, or make me pay the cost of a new stove out of my paycheck." Sookie suggested.

"Well, whatever you want."

"I can't afford a new stove! Those things are expensive."

"Sookie, please, I am begging you, pull yourself together, okay? I got no sleep last night and I think I put my contacts in backwards."

"Rory's still mad at you, huh?" Sookie asked Lorelai.

"Hey, I'm not so crazy about her either."

"It was a fight. Mothers and daughters fight." Sookie tells Lorelai with a sigh.

"No, we don't fight. We never fight." Michel then walks into the kitchen."

"You told me to tell you when your daughters have arrived. Well, they're here and my least favorite one is sitting in my chair." Lorelai then turns to Sookie.

"Hold on just a minute." Lorelai then leaves

"And you are the one left standing. That is a funny, funny thing, no?" In the lobby, Lorelai walks up to Rory and Ryland at the front desk. Rory was sitting in Michels chair while Ryland was standing up working on homework.

"Hey, no muumuu today. You know what's weird, I kind of miss it."

"You left us a note to meet you here." Rory said to her mother with a tone of annoyance.

"Yeah, I thought you guys might want to work a couple hours, make a little extra cash."

"Fine."

"Aw, you're not gonna give me the "Mommy Dearest" treatment forever, are ya?"

"You wanted me here, I'm here. Should I do something or what?"

"Yeah, go home. Dinner's at seven. Be ready to go."

"Fine."

"Fine." Rory leaves. Michel walks over and sits in his chair.

"Ah, my chair."

"What do you want me to do mom?" Ryland asked her mother as she finishe up her English homework.

"Uh...you could help Michel if he needs any." Lorelai tells Ryland before she leave the desk to do some work.

"Hey Michel, do you need any help with anything?"

"Umm...no I do not, just sit there and do your homework Ryland." Ryland then nods and goes to do her math homework.

ELDER GILMORE RESIDENCE
Lorelai, Ryland and Rory stand on the front porch staring at the door

"So, do we go in or do we just stand here reenacting The Little Match Girl?"

"Okay, look, I know you and me are having a thing here and I know you hate me but I need you to be civil, at least through dinner and then on the way home you can pull a Menendez. Deal?"

"Fine." Lorelai rings the doorbell. Emily opens the door.

"Hi, Grandma." The twins said at the same time.