Chapter 2

I walked past Ricky, opening my front door and stepping into the hallway. It was done with such confidence, you'd think we were heading to my apartment. But our trip upstairs was interrupted. It was my friend Regina. I was always happy to see her, but this time she was interrupting my attempt to claim this boy.

"Nicole?" Regina asked as she saw the sight of Ricky and I. With a smile she touched her curly afro hair, then crossed her arms. "Who's your little friend?"

"He's hardly a friend, we've just met." I corrected her. "But his name is Ricky. He's living upstairs."

"That Old Mrs. Nelson finally croaked?" Regina placed a hand on her hip. "I've been waiting for that old woman to be out my hair."

"Actually..." I looked back at Ricky, who seemed a little stunned that yet another person was expressing their dislike for his grandmother. Then I looked forward to Regina. "Ricky, here, is her grandson."

"Her grandson?" Regina rose her eyebrows. Then she walked up to me and spoke in a whisper. "That pile of dust had offspring?"

"You're talking as if I'm not here at all." Ricky pointed out. He had to use every fiber in his body to fester enough confidence to speak to Regina. "Just because you use a hush voice doesn't mean I can't hear you."

"Well then hear this." Regina looked to Ricky. "I know your grandma owns the building, but she's made it real hard on her tenants. She has a bunch of rules that are impossible to follow. She doesn't even let us cook certain foods because she doesn't like the smell of 'ethnic' cooking! I pay too much rent to be treated like this!"

"I know my gran can be a handful." Ricky put his hands up. "And I promise you as long as I'm here things will go about easier. You can cook any food you want. In fact, I'm a fan of new foods."

Regina paused as she looked Ricky up and down. "You know, you're not too bad. Not bad at all."

I let out a slight sigh of relief. Regina could often be a straight shooter, so this conversation was pretty subtle for her.

"You're not a honky like your grandma." She rose an eyebrow. I gave Regina a look. "What? I don't like her."

"So then why don't you move?" Ricky asked Regina.

"Why don't you lotion your elbows?" She snapped back. Then she looked back at me as if Ricky started this confrontation. "You know? Can you control this boy's mouth?"

"Regina..." I quietly said.

"I have lived here with Martin for years since we got engaged. We don't know any other apartment building." She lifted a finger.

"I know." I nodded along with her.

"And here this boy comes in and asks me redundant questions like why don't I move? Why doesn't he mind his business?" She asked with widened eyes.

"I apologize if I struck a chord with you. And I'm sorry if my grandma has been unfair to you in anyway." Ricky rose his eyebrows. "Let me make it up to you. Allow me to cut your rent by a few dollars."

"That doesn't sound too bad." Regina crosses her arms. "My fiancé and I pay $60 a month."

"I'll let you stay for $49." Ricky told her in an attempt to resolve the issue. "I hope that eases your worries."

"It eases something alright." She nodded. "Anyway, I'm heading downstairs. Nice meeting your little white boy."

"Regina." I crossed my arms. She laughed as she walked off happily. I waited for her to leave. I didn't want her to know that I'd be giving Ricky company. It's not that I was keeping a secret, it just would be easier on everyone if she didn't know.

Besides, Regina had quite a mouth on her. If she knew I even had the plan to fuck Ricky, she'd probably tell the whole neighborhood.

I looked to Ricky as he stood there. He wasn't like the other men around here. It's as if he didn't belong in the city. There was a submissive nature to him. As if he tried his best to stay out of my way. I wanted to know how to get closer to him. How would I begin to let him know I wanted him to be mine?

"I guess it's just you and me now." He grinned at the floor, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

"I guess so." I placed my hand on my shoulder as I walked past him toward the steps. He watched my hips as they swayed around the curve of the railing, then made their way up the steps. Then he followed close behind.

Slowly we exited my apartment and into hallway. I walked ahead of Ricky as he followed me up to his apartment. There was a pleasure in knowing that grouchy old lady went somewhere else for the summer. She was always far too concerned with my business, maybe her frilly Edwardian turtlenecks made her such a pain in the ass.

Once we finally got to his apartment, I touched the doorknob.

"It's open." He let me know. "I never lock it."

"Why would that be?" I asked as I pushed open the door.

"Who would be going inside?" He shrugged. "I never locked the door to my cottage either."

I didn't take the time to ponder his naïve, and arguably stupid trust in neighbors. There was a bit of anticipation boiling inside of me as I entered the apartment. Old Mrs. Nelson often spoke to me from her landing, but I'd never been invited into her apartment. It was like stepping into a time capsule of the past.

The furniture all dated back to the turn of the century. Red, velvet couches accompanied matching chairs around a rococo coffee table. Small figurines stood quietly, idly staring off into the room. The glass shades that protected the oil lamps of the chandelier was accumulating dust. I assume Old Mrs. Nelson was unable to clean it herself, and Ricky didn't care to clean it.

There was something eery about the apartment. In fact, the nature of it seemed to fit the owner of it perfectly. I looked to Ricky as he stood there, lips pressed together tightly. He was like a breath of fresh air in this old apartment. It made me wonder if he'd ever give it a slight, temporary makeover while staying here. I mean— how could he bring his friends here?

How could he bring women here?

Looking at him, he didn't seem like he had many. As if he was totally unaware of how handsome he was. That only made me want him more.