Chapter 29

Chapter Quote:
"Now I'm in your face!"
~Dom Toretto
_________________________________

Chapter 29

Jace

Needless to say, the adults did not handle our proposal well, but we managed to convince them it was our only option. We had to compromise that the fight would happen in LA, but the takedown would be in an area with few pedestrians. The plan was to corner Lynch on the Pacific Coast Highway. That way, there were cliffs on one side and the ocean on the other, creating no feasible way for him to escape.

Soon, the day came for the plan to be enacted. While everyone else was preparing to leave on a secret flight later this evening, I was preparing to leave for mine in a couple of hours.

Ember sat on my bed watching me pack, uncharacteristically quiet. I knew she had a lot on her mind, mostly her dad being alive. I hated the idea of leaving her right now because I wanted to be there for her whenever she needed me. But I reminded myself she had Jackson, Brandon, and Sam by her side. They would take care of her until we reunited.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" She finally broke the silence with the question. Her blue eyes glittered with unshed tears. I sat down in front of her.

"If it means getting rid of Lynch once and for all, then yes." I cupped her face. "I'm nervous, don't get me wrong, but I trust you and your family. We're going to pull this off."

Ember crashed her lips onto mine, her hands fisting into my shirt. I pulled her onto my lap, trying to get her as close to me as possible. I couldn't help but think that, naturally, because we'd finally confessed our love and had gotten together, we now had to separate. What hellacious timing.

"If we continue this, I'm going to end up staying," I whispered.

She kissed me again. "That wouldn't be such a horrible thing."

"No, but I have to do this." We braced our foreheads together. "I'm going to come back."

"I know... it's just I don't have a good track record with men in my life when they try to protect me. Look at my dad and Jack. I don't want you getting hurt because of me. Not more than you already have."

"I have something they didn't."

"What's that?"

"You. You weren't old enough when Jack was kidnapped, and you weren't with your dad when he died. You're older now, and you're helping me with this. If I didn't hate Lynch, I'd feel sorry for the hell you're about to rain down on him."

"He should be scared," she said, getting off my lap and putting distance between us. "We're going to get carried away if we continue, and you have a plane to catch."

"Like we did the other night?" I grinned impishly.

Ember blushed

Ember blushed. "Yes. Now, let's get you on your way."

Taking her hand in mine, we left my room and strode to the kitchen, where our team awaited. There were a few raised eyebrows at our joined hands, but no questions. I guess the matters at hand were more pressing.