Welcome To The Family

"Excuse me?" We heard a voice say from the front of the studio. "A-are you guys here?" I stood up from the couch, going into the front room, where the desk and check in lobby was at, to find a lanky, tan young boy looking around nervously. He had black hair with bright blonde highlights, and brown eyes, almost like a baby deer. It was actually kind of cute, surprisingly. But.. He didn't seem to have the build of the drummer. Surely this couldn't be the right kid, looking for the right part?
        "Arin, I assume?" I asked softly, and as soon as he heard my voice, he jumped probably six feet in shock before he nodded politely. I raised my hand up for a handshake, and he gripped my hand softly, moving it up and down slowly. "I'm M. Shadows, but please, call me Matt." He seemed to blush a little at the fact that I was letting him address me by my actual name instead of my stagename. Hm. I get that a lot.
        "Okay, Matt.." He said quietly. I nodded towards the back of the studio, where the rest of the guys were at, before we made our way back there. As he saw the rest of the guys, he seemed to become shy, his face reddening at the fact that he was in the same room as us. Brian seemed to eye him down cautiously, almost like he was afraid this lanky, tiny kid was going to fly off his hinges and attack him at any given moment.
        "Guys, this is Arin from Confide." I called strongly, and they all nodded to him before shaking his hand individually; though Brian hesitated for a moment, sending a look of confusion surging through the group. "We're gonna see if he's got the chops for us." I said playfully, and Zacky gave me a look.
        "Are you kidding?! Of course he has the chops! I mean, have you even heard his stuff in-" He quickly shuts up once he sees the look I'm giving him. Jesus, Zack, my brain sighs. Just give the kid the part and give him head, too, while you're at it! Aaaand I immediately wish that image hadn't crossed my mind.
        "C-can I just say one thing?" Arin asked quietly, and we all raised an eyebrow, laughing softly and nodding. He seemed to think for a second, almost as if he couldn't quite find the right words, before he spoke again, this time a bit stronger. "I-If I get this part.. This would be the biggest dream come true for me. All of you guys were my biggest inspiration in Confide, and.. Especially Jimmy." That seemed to strike a nerve in Brian. He muttered a quiet, 'excuse me, please,' before he got up and left the room, his hands shoved in his pockets. Zacky gave me a look that basically dripped with, 'I'll take care of it.' before he followed Brian out of the room.
        "D-Did I say something wrong?" Arin questioned quietly, and I quickly waved my hand, taking a deep breath before searching for the words to explain what's wrong with Brian; I know exactly what's wrong with him, I just can't put it into words.
        "He's.. Conflicted," I  start, almost straining my words. "He's really, really upset about Jimmy, and.. He didn't really want to welcome a new drummer into the band yet, so.. Just.. Forgive his behavior for a little while, okay?" Arin nodded understandingly, and after a few minutes of discussing different things, Brian and Zacky came back in the room; Brian's face was beyond red and splotchy, and Zacky wasn't looking much better.
        "Excuse me," Brian muttered, sitting down next to Arin. He began to scoot over, but Brian stopped him by grabbing his arm. "I wanted to apologize for how I acted.. And.." He seemed to swallow hard, swallowing all his anger and sadness in one gulp. "Welcome to the family."
        "Song puns?!" Johnny teased, and for once since Arin came into the studio, we all laugh in unison. Brian gives the brightest smile he can manage, and that, in turn, makes me feel so much better about this situation. About everything, really.
        "So, Arin.." Zacky says, and we all swivel our eyes to look over at the soft-spoken guitarist. "What all songs by us do you know?" Arin seems to think for a minute, playfully putting his finger on his chin like he's lost deep in thought, before shrugging.
        "Eh... All of them?" My eyes widen at these words.
        "Even from Sounding the Seventh Trumpet?" I ask in shock, and he nods confidently. "Well, I think we made an excellent choice with you!" Arin's face flushes deeply at the sound of these words, and I have to admit, mine does as well. "Well, someone should call Corey and tell him that we're up for Knotfest." Arin's eyes widen.
        "Knotfest?" He asks in surprise, and we all laugh softly, nodding our heads at him. "Oh, jeez.. Wow.. I went from 500 people a show to two thousand.. In a week.." He seems to think outloud, looking at his shoes in the process. It did seem like a big change. I still remember after Waking the Fallen came out, we went from playing shows with two or three hundred people to over a thousand in less than a month. It was wild. We were just five kids living our dreams and letting out our anger and fear in a band that we had created in one day.
        "Don't worry," It was Brian who spoke up this time, putting his hand on the shy boy's shoulder. "It's a little overwhelming at first, but you get used to it after one or two shows. After Waking the Fallen came out, I had anxiety attacks when we went from a few hundred to a few thousand each show."
        "That's just because he's a wimp," Zacky teased, earning a playful eye-narrowed glance from Brian. We all laughed, and my heart swelled up a little bit at the fact that the guys were taking to this boy so easily, just like he had been there all along. "Kidding, Bri, don't punch me!" Zacky again teased, and this time, Brian hopped over and tackled him to the couch.
        "Oh, I'm a wimp, am I, Vengeance?! Need I remind you of my martial arts days?!" He yells, putting his arms around Zacky's shoulders and attempting to tickle him or something. There we go, I thought. That's the Brian I know. I watch them wrestle around for a minute before Brian simply gives up, resting halfway on Zacky's lap and halfway on the couch; both of them are panting and huffing heavily but they're still laughing.
        "Is that how it's gonna be all the time?" Arin asked skeptically, and I laughed, shaking my head in reply. No, I thought. It's only because Zacky has the hots for Brian but is too much of a wimp to tell him.
        "Nah, they're just being losers." I explained, earning a, 'hey!' from both of the guitarists at the same time. Maybe this kid has what it takes to bring us back together, to make us a family again. Maybe, just maybe, he would become the replacement that Jimmy would have approved of, had he.. Had he been alive and you kicked him out of the band? I suddenly frowned. Why would a thought like that even cross my mind?