Applause and Beautiful Boys

............................................

05

............................................

A deafening silence rings through the vastness of the student-filled ballroom. At that moment Lilian felt like prey on the verge of being pounced on by a formidable predator

She rises to her feet, choosing to ignore the goosebumps littered on her skin.

Just then a voice cuts through the silence startling her and everyone around

"Yeah Lily!" Romeo bellows

"That's my girl" Nadia adds wooing

The rest of the group follow suit, and just then a series of applause from the students echo throughout the large room.

"Lilian, you see for yourself how excited we are to have you here, welcome." The principal says into the mic.

"Thank you" She replies before taking her seat

"I will now call up your senior president and great-grandson of our founder, Christian St. Laurent: Charles St. Laurent" The principal beams

Charles walks to the stage, drawing forth the roars and screams of the students. It was wild and uncontrollable to the point where it put the cheers Lilian got to shame.

"Sounds crazier than any concert I've played for" Nala tries to scream over the noise

"Hell I can barely hear my own voice" Caspian shouts back covering his ears

As Charles gets to the podium, the sound of the student body dwindles; he waits until the very last clap is heard before speaking.

"Hello," His voice reverberates through the speakers.

"Firstly, I would like to say a big thank you to Mrs. Cortez, my great grandfather would be proud to know how reputable you have made this school to say the least"

The principal smiles abashedly before Charles' tone turns serious

"With that being said, our reputation precedes us. As students of Kensington, it means there is no room for mistakes. Expulsion hangs over the heads of each and every one of you. Remember, the act of one student is a reflection of the school as a whole"

"Money can only buy immunity when it's a higher offer" His eyes zero in on Delalic "Thank you"

Charles walks off the stage leaving the students stunned and the principal with a flustered attempt at laughing off his comment.

"That monotonous voice will be the death of you" James whispers to the boy taking a seat in front of him.

"Not even a 'have a good school year!'" Caspian chuckles resulting in snickers from the others

Charles seemingly fed up with his friends, turns around with a look that kills their laughter. The low lighting from the chandeliers above him outlined every curve of his face. Lilian stared as he clenched and unclenched his jaw as if to hold himself back.

Without further deliberation, he sighs and walks out of the room

"What's gotten into him?" Nadia asks bewildered

"You don't know what he's going through" Colleen replies harshly

"And I bet you do" Nala snaps back "He puts you in the friend zone twenty-four-seven Colleen, please wake up"

Colleen's eye twitches in the slightest

"A bit hypocritical of you to say considering you do the same to Caspian. I've never heard of the pauper rejecting the prince-"

"Okay let's just all calm down. This isn't about us" James interjects

"What the fuck did you just call me?" Nala almost stands up pushing her chair back in the process.

Caspian quickly pulls her down and away from the dark haired girl

"Easy tiger" He laughs

"Rawr" Romeo comments amusingly

"I think I'm also going to get some air" Lilian laughs

She walks out leisurely, in no rush to return to the assembly but slows to a stop after seeing the dark haired boy she was gradually growing accustomed to. She could keep walking, but for some odd reason she wanted to be around him. She wanted to translate him, decipher him, solve him.

Somewhere along the lines, Charles had become her favorite puzzle and as a matter-of-fact, there has never been a puzzle that Lilian could not solve.

Joining him in silence she observes the open field through the wall to ceiling windows.

"Lilian" He says, turning to face the girl that had intruded his space. Her name rolled off his tongue like he had said it a thousand times in his past life

"I'm surprised you know my name when you haven't acknowledged me once" She teases still looking at the plains.

"It would be foolish of me not to" He responds deliberately, causing her to finally look in his direction. His deep green eyes pierced into hers with an intensity that demanded hers to do the same.

They stayed that way for a moment, or two... somehow time seemed to fail them at some point there. Suddenly, applause heard from the assembly cause the two to look away, breaking whatever they had tried to decipher with their glances.

Charles clears his throat returning to his previous disposition "I hope you took Delalic's words with a grain of salt"

"Of course" She replies "Granted I could have handled it myself, I appreciate you stepping in"

He nods pensively, exacerbating the already impending silence.

"I was never really into blonds anyway" Lilian says to lighten the mood.

It takes a couple seconds for Charles to respond as he looks at her. Her dark eyes, decorated with darker eyelashes, looked up at him. A small smile adorned her lips, accompanied by a faint dimple.

At this moment, he had to gather his thoughts before speaking:

First and foremost- She was teasing him and very obviously too

Secondly- She looked pretty doing it

Finally- ...He was enjoying every second of it...?

?