Last stand

Six was tired. She was neither the strongest nor the hardiest Spartan in the Program. She couldn't fight for days on end like the S-II's, or even the S-III's from her company. She couldn't shrug of a point blank plasma bolt to the chestplate, unlike her fellow Spartans, who could take more punishment without getting knocked off their feet.

But she was quick. Quick enough to outrun the needles that gored her allies; quick enough to dodge the white-hot plasma that could char a human's skin to the bone. That talent may have been the only thing that kept her alive during the Battle of Reach. It was sure as hell the only thing keeping her alive now.

After covering the Autumn's escape with the Mass Driver, and taking out a Covenant Cruiser in the process, the Covenant were naturally a bit pissed off at the Lone Spartan. They aired there sentiments by dropping troops by the dozens near Azsod. Grunts, Jackals, and Elites now prowled the once-guarded UNSC facility, presumably searching for survivors.

Six, though slightly sluggish from hours of fighting, was still standing firm, ready to engage the enemy. Strangely, the Covenant had ceased attacking , but she knew that would not be for long. She had an M392 DMR attached to her magnetic holster on her back, and Emile's shotgun, a prototype M90 shotgun, a huge step over Reach's old but rugged M45. It held 6 shells more than the 45, had a better effective range, and power that could stop a Jiralhanae in their tracks.

She had to admit, Emile had good taste in firearms. Six also had an M6G holstered to her right thigh, ready to use in a pinch. In spite of all these fancy toys, Six knew that weapons were only as good as the user's aim was, and for her overtaxed body, would probably not be for long.

Better deal as much damage as I can while I still can, she mused to herself silently. She looked at a corpse of a Spartan. Their Aqua and Cobalt armor reminded Six of Kat, one of Six's deceased squad members, but blackened and melted from plasma fire.

This Spartan had died protecting the facility. You shall be the protectors of Earth and all her Colonies.... a female voice said to her. She couldn't recall who the woman was; all she remembered was that white labcoat she wore, just like the other doctors at the hospital.

Another grim reminder of the Spartan's vulnerability. According to ONI Directive 930, Spartans killed in the line of duty shall be listed as MIA or WIA, to preserve the myth that Spartans never die, preventing a drastic morale drop associated with the death of one of their best. This didn't carry over to the battlefield, as shown by Emile's deceased cadaver. Not even Spartans can survive getting stabbed by an energy blade through the back.

Standing here, among her fallen  brothers and sister in arms, brought Six a strange type of peace. Though she lived on a now hostile planet, she would die among comrades. And even though she couldn't bring them back, she was damned sure sending them some company before joining them.

As if on cue, a pair of Spirit dropships appeared out of the thick dust clouds, dropping down grunts and elites of different color through their anti-gravity wells. There were at least 20 Sanghelli, their armor color ranging from Light Blue to Gold, and Lord knows how many grunts. She flicked the safety off her M392, and heard a distinct click sound from the rifle.

Before leaving, Ann-B312 gave a crisp salute to the fallen Spartan, acknowledging his sacrifice to Earth and all her colonies