Four: The Mate

The Mate
Nathaniel.

"My mother is driving me crazy. She keeps saying she can sense something coming but won't tell me what."

She scoffed, "She didn't say she won't tell you when I asked, she said she doesn't know what it is."

I raised my hands in frustration, "That doesn't help me at all, Ellie. I —" My brows instantly creased, not recognising the smell of whomever was lurking around here.

"What's wrong?" Ellie asked when I didn't complete my sentence, "Hey, I'll call you back." I said before she agreed and I hung up.

Walking out the house, I scanned the area before my eyes caught onto a blonde haired girl dressed in all black. She was jumping from tree to tree, The Offering was snooping around my Pack? What could they possibly want from us?

Her thoughts gave her away just as fast as her smell did. They were loud and rude if I must say so myself, who did she think she was?

The Offering just goes around sticking their noses in the any and all kind of werewolf business possible. However, it was only if the werewolves or the Pack had actually done something. Which brings me back to my initial question — why is she here?

I'm half witch, I hardly even do anything werewolf related anymore and my Pack was filled with 'rejects,' just like me. We all behaved and kept to ourselves.

The confusion continued to build as she approached until she came tumbling down the tree once I spoke into her head. I felt obligated to catch her but my wolf held me back, when I tried to reach my hand out when she landed surprisingly well he pulled me back once more.

What is wrong with you? I snapped at my inner beast, seeing as I'm a hybrid he usually never controls me or even makes his presence known unless I'm in his full form. When I'm in my wizard form be never dares to make himself known so why was he doing so now?

That's until I really got a whiff of her when she collided with the ground. Her natural scent although mixed with the dirt beneath her it was strong enough to my senses. Way too strong, I voluntarily took a step back this time.

"Okay, the damn things aren't chivalrous either." She hissed but I continued to stare at her for a beat too long.

Was it her? No, you know she doesn't exist. She doesn't exist.

I repeated those words throughout the entire exchange with her and the longer the exchange was, the less I believed those words. Even when she threw that silver mist cloud, I still didn't quite believe those words anymore and when my wolf spoke I definitely did not believe it at all.

She exists.

*

"You found her?" My mother repeated, "She must be what I saw coming! But are you sure?"

Ellie quickly rushed in, "Yeah, are you sure? Did you touch her? Did you look into her eyes?" She looked over at my mother, "Would it still work like that?"

My mother brought Ellie her tea, "Maybe you shouldn't have brought her, Mikhail."

Elijah gave my mother a warning look but my other only looked at her fondly like she always does, "My baby, you're too far along. I don't like these trips, being so far from your mate. You could pop at any moment."

Ellie just rolled her eyes, "Can we focus on the matter at hand? Which is certainly not me and my pregnant ass. I'm perfectly fine coming here every week. This is our tradition, I'm not breaking it. When my sweet girl rolls around, you'll both be coming to mine."