You give me wings

flash fiction
time: the start of the year four
It's a story of how it all began

It would be getting dark soon and it wasn't safe to wander outside the castle at such a late hour I wondered. An yet my feet carried me forward with determination and stubbornness. I couldn't stay indoors anymore. It was suffocating. Today was the day when everyone realised that a new curse stroke Hogwarts. Students started to sleepwalk into the Forbidden Forest and I felt the burden of my family's involvement and tampering with the Vaults on my shoulders.

My feet brought me to the owlery. My subconsciousness led me to a solitary place yet outside f the castle walls. It was perfect. I was constantly surrounded by my friends and I appreciated their support, but sometimes I wanted to escape and curl up and cry. The last thing I wanted for them to see me cry. A tear escaped my eyes.

"Hi."

I jumped in surprise and looked up to notice a dark figure in one of the window frames.

"Oh, sorry," I stammered. "I didn't know you were here. I'd better leave. Sorry again to disturb you."

I hurried to leave and give back Talbott his privacy which he cherished dearly.

"Stay." He stopped me.

The next moment he was beside me touching gently my shoulder. I flinched and wiped tears away before turning my face to him. He was so close for his usual estranged behaviour. It bothered me, but at the same time, I didn't want this moment to end.

"Hey." He breathed out. "It's ok not to be ok. I understand."

I nodded and crumbled leaning into him letting tears run freely. I felt safe, understood. He gave me time to gather myself again.

"Join me." He uttered after what seemed to be an eternity.

The next moment he turned into an eagle, his animagus form, encouraging me to do the same.

"Oh, I haven't done it in a while," I muttered uncomfortably.

Animagus transformation was one of the most advanced magic forms and it still gave me creeps every time I needed to transform. A second later I was spreading wings. I was a bit smaller than Talbott and with lighter feathers. My hawk eyes met his. With one mighty flap, he flew up into the air and dived out of the window into the twilight sky. I followed his lead.

The wind ruffled my feathers with warmth and softness. We were soaring over the lake, hills, the forbidden forest, absorbing the last rays of the setting sun, enjoying vibrant colours of sundown and the sensation of absolute freedom. You gave me wings, Talbott. Literally and figuratively.

I was engulfed with a feeling of pure happiness I hadn't had lately. Minutes passed and the sun disappeared completely over the horizon. It was time to come back.

I wanted to say to him so many different things, when we landed in the owlery and transformed back into ourselves, but only smiled. He sensed my gratitude just looking into my eyes, no words were needed. I knew we became even closer to each other tonight and warmth spread over my heart. Reluctantly I turned to leave.

"See you soon again, birdie." His voice sounded soft behind my back.

It seemed like he wouldn't be always flying solo anymore, he wouldn't mind me tagging along. My smile grew bigger no matter how hard I tried to suppress it. I waved him goodbye and headed to the castle.

I didn't have a chance to find my solitude in the owlery, but I got to acquire so much more, and I felt renewed power to fight. I'd been through so much already. Nothing will stop me from breaking this curse as well.