Secrets Don't Make Friends

[Doug's POV]

I finally get Cassie to leave around 2:34am. Why did she want to stay, anyway? Why did she even care enough to check up on me? I still don't understand why. I don't really like her, but I care enough about her to not get her killed. Which sounds kind of dumb, doesn't it? I go back in the house and collapse on the couch.

-

"Hey wake up!" Grace screams in my face.

I make a discontent noise and I somehow find my voice. "Hmmmm.. Wha - what?" I ask, rubbing my eyes.

"You slept in," the blond tells me, as if that should explain everything. I sit up and comb my hair with my fingers out of habit. I scratch my back before standing up. Oh no, I think as I look at my hands. I wipe my hands on the couch, trying to be discreet but hasty.

Now remembering Cassie, I walk to the door and look outside. Nothing, good. I let out a soft, relieved sigh. "Something wrong?" Grace asks with a concerned tone, noticing my odd behavior. I smile at her fondly, happy that I have friends that look out for me.

She looks at me funny when I flash her the dumb smile, and I shake my head before rubbing the crust out of my eyes again. "No, it's nothing," I reply with a humorless chuckle.

The curvy girl rolls her eyes at my antics, still a bit sour from our precious argument. "Whatever, let's go." Grace uncrosses her arms and starts heading into the kitchen. I follow her without hesitation. I am greeted by the sight of Rick, Daniel, and Rebecca eating fruit. I grab a half eaten can from yesterday that someone already set out for me and enjoy the rest of it.

Rick sees my bed-head and chuckles. "Well, hello there, sleepy head. Nice of you to finally join us," Rick teases. I look at the black-haired boy and roll my eyes. Rebecca gives Rick a warning look. "Geez..." Rick says under his breath, clearly disliking Rebecca's death glare. I swallow, and wait for Rebecca to look away. When she does, I stick my tongue out at my friend and Rick follows suit.

After I finished the can, I announce, "I'm going to go throw this away." I stand up and push in my chair, causing it to screech in protest. Rebecca's head whips back to face meet, and I halt in my steps.

"Be careful, Doug; we still don't know where that corpse ran off to," the African American says cautiously. I nod at her seriously before I realize her gaze is lingering, and I decide to lighten the mood.

"I'll be fine, Becca. Besides, nine lives, remember?" My free hand claws the air in a graceful, swift movement, and I utter one of my famous cat sounds. They all laugh at the long-time inside joke and I smile back at them playfully.

I grab everyone's empty fruit cans and start heading towards the front door. Before I'm out of range however, I hear Rick mutter fondly, "You and your freakin' cats, Doug."

I walk to the end of the front yard with a smile still fresh on my face, and put the cans in the garbage bin. My grin drops when I feel someone watching me. Cassie, my mind supplies. I walk backwards cautiously, looking left and right. I hurry back to the kitchen, finding everyone already absorbed in a new discussion. "...I'm going to go salvage some stuff from the other houses." I proclaim absentmindedly, my mind buzzing at the thought of seeing that zombie again.

I begin to get my stuff together, since we keep all of our supplies in the kitchen, it doesn't take me too long before I'm ready to go. However, just before I'm out of the eating area, I hear Daniel's voice ask, "Can I join?"

I can't help but sigh annoyingly. My thoughts stir restlessly, How am suppose to find Cassie with Daniel breathing down my neck? But, I realize with a start, it will be suspicious if I decline or hesitate. These thoughts cause me to anxiously spit out, "Sure." He rises to his feet before heading over to me. I shake my head at him and he stops in his tracks. It sends a chill down my spine, but I manage to add, "Bring your gun."