Chapter Thirty

"I- What?" Ace was staring back at me blankly. "Are you messing with me right now?"

"I'm suddenly in the hospital with no idea how I got here and you're in here staring at me, and you're asking me if I'm messing with you? I'm really hoping I'm dreaming right now."

I was hoping for the exact same thing.

Slept with last night? Like the first time we met?

"Let me...call a doctor." I was having deja vu and not the kind that I wanted. If I never saw Ace in a hospital bed again, it would be too soon.

"Can you call Gigi?" He closed his eyes for a moment. "Damn it, you don't know who that is. Where's my phone? Why are you still here? Can I see a doctor?"

My chest was pulling in different directions and I felt like I was losing my breath. So I decided to leave. "Yeah, just hold on."

As soon as the door closed behind me, I collapsed to the floor, trying to hold everything in. I needed to find his doctor. And to call Gigi. I could put Tyson on that though.

After a few seconds and after sending Tyson a text, I stood on shaky ground and walked over to the nurse's desk. "Hi, I need to see Ace Winters' doctor. He's awake."

She smiled, slightly calming me down. "Right away sir."

The doctor appeared only a few moments later, his mouth upturned up until he saw my face. "That's not a good face."

I followed behind him as he walked to the room. "He's lost his memory."

He nodded. "I was afraid of that since he's had two head injuries within a short amount of time, but these things are often temporary." He turned back to me with his had on the doorknob. "Let's see what we can do."

He pushed the door open and Ace was laying there staring at the TV, his mouth slightly agape. "Mr. Winters, how are you feeling?" The doctor greeted, while I stayed closer to the door. I didn't want to scare Ace. He clearly didn't remember certain things about me.

Or anything about me besides the fact that we'd slept together.

And he didn't seem to like the thought of that very much.

"Are you my doctor?" He asked.

"I am. How's your head feeling? 1 to 10?"

He still had that confused look on his face. "Six or seven maybe, but I don't think my brain is working the way it should if I'm being honest."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm seeing Halloween ads on the TV, but it's nowhere near Halloween. I mean...Jesus." He hung his head then like the realization just came over him.

"Do you know what day it is?"

He shook his head before rubbing a hand over his face. "I don't think so...at least not anymore. I thought it was closer to February, but it has to be October, huh?"

He was taking this surprisingly well. I don't know if even I could take the news as well as he was.

"It's October 24th."

"Of 2019?"

"Yes."

"Oh thank God. I don't know if I could take it being a completely different year."

The doctor smiled, scribbling some notes on his clipboard. I was trying not to make a move in the corner of the room, trying not to draw attention the fact that I was still here. I just let them continue their conversation while my brain processed the information.