And the Ones That Keep us Together

The sun sparkled across the ground as the trees above swayed in the wind. Alice pulled her blanket closer as the cool breeze sent a shiver through her body. The sun was just beginning to peak over the horizon and she sat up and stretched out, loose strands of hair falling even more unkempt when compared to yesterday's.  

Charles sat opposite of her holding a cup of coffee. In any different world this could be the moment their eyes met. Alice would smile and shyly tuck some of her hair behind her ears and it'd be the moment they realize that each other were the one thing they had been looking for. 

"We should have better luck here" Charles said. This wasn't a different world... 

Alice nodded and yawned before getting up and straightening her clothes. This wasn't the right time... 

----

With two deer and a couple rabbits on their horses, the pair set off back towards camp. The calm silence they shared returned, yet now Alice felt different. She told herself that it was just their conversation from the table the other day, but it felt like it had been there for a while. 

Yet she didn't talk, the occasional small conversation passed between them as they returned to camp. Breaking through the trees they were met with the normal routines of the camp. Alice slid out of her saddle and pulled the deer off and clumsily threw it over her shoulder. "If you ever feel like hunting again, I wouldn't mind to join you" Charles said as he walked beside her toward Pearson's wagon. "Sounds good" Alice choked as she tried to focus on making it to the wagon with the animal in one try. 

"I can get that if you'd like" Charles suggested. Alice shook her head, "I've got it" she answered. "No she doesn't" Arthur chimed in as he lifted the deer off her shoulder. The wagon was only a couple feet away. "Yes I did Arthur" Alice stated as she followed after them. Charles lightly chuckled and they sat the deer on the wooden table. Arthur rolled his eyes, "You were going to drop it" he teased. Alice huffed and glared at her brother. 

"My offer still stands" Charles said as he walked away from the two. 

"Why'd you have to go and do that for" Alice demanded. "Do what" Arthur laughed as he walked away. "You know exactly what" Alice followed, why was she even mad about it. "Just helpin out" Arthur said. This was more than amusing for him. 

Alice opened her mouth to say something but caught herself. With a huff she walked away, how silly that she was all worked up over nothing. She couldn't even figure out why she was upset with Arthur. 

----

The next day and Alice spent doing camp chores. It was another warm day and everyone seemed relaxed. 

"Alice" Abigail called. Alice looked up from where she was feeding the chickens and smiled, "What can I do for ya Abigail" she asked. "Nothin really, I'm just wondering if you knew where Arthur was. The boy is getting tired of the camp an I though he might take him out" She said. Alice dusted off her skirt and scanned the camp quickly. "I ain't really sure Abigail, last I saw he was going to meet Hosea." she sighed. Abigail nodded, "Thank you Alice, if you see him, can you tell em I'm looking for him?" 

Alice nodded and ran her fingers through her hair, the ribbon that held it back was coming loose. 

~~~~

Abigail joined the gang in 1894, Uncle brought her in. Despite all the rumors and arguments, Abigail quit prostituting when she joined. While her past still followed her, the birth of Jack resulted in John hanging it over her head. When Jack was a year old John left the gang, running away from the responsibilities that presented themselves before him.