Two

Rent on their apartment was overdue, and Sarah couldn't pay it, not even with having taken on extra shifts at work.  She had wanted to keep the apartment so badly, to show that she could.

But, she had to face the facts: they could no longer afford the apartment - their family apartment.  What was supposed to have been their family home. 

And so, she and Gaby were moving in with Dad and Irene and Toby - temporarily. 

Dad and Irene were currently away on holiday, so Toby helped Sarah and Gaby move their belongings into the house - which, admittedly, wasn't very much.

"Uncle Toby!" Gaby rushed to hug the young adult when she and her mom arrived at the house.

"Hey Gabs! How's it going?" Toby knelt down to give his niece a hug. 

"Good! We're all moving in together!" Gaby seemed to be the most excited about this new - and temporary - arrangement.

"Yes, we are. Thank you so much for doing this," Sarah told her brother.

"Hey, don't thank me. This is Dad and Mom's house, I just live here.  But it's good to have you home."

"Thanks." 

"And, maybe now that you and Gaby are here, they'll stop bugging me about college."

Sarah chuckled. "Regretting taking a gap year yet?"

"Not quite yet, but if they keep nagging me, I just might."

"College is fun-"

"Oh, not you too."

"I'm just saying, Toby."

Toby shrugged.  "You used to be a lot more fun."

---------------------------------

"So, here I am, in my thirties and with a daughter of my own, and back at home living with my dad, step-mom, and my brother," Sarah sighed, after recalling the whole move to Caroline.  "It's not fair."

"No, you're right, it's not.  On the bright side though, you won't have to worry about paying rent for a while."

"True, but I really don't want to stay with them for too long.  We all have our own lives now.  And I don't want to be a burden to them."

"I'm sure you're not." Then Caroline grinned.  "I may just have something to cheer you up."

Sarah rolled her eyes.  "Oh, I can only imagine." 

"So, my cousin's roommate, Anthony, Tony for short-"

"Caroline-"

"Please let me finish! He's single too, and I think you would really like him! And he loves kids, and I just know he would adore Gaby! I think you two should meet."

"Go on a date, you mean."

"Yes. But once you're all settled of course."

Sarah sighed and opened her mouth to protest, but then closed it again.  Instead, she said,  "You know what? What the heck - sure, I'll go on a date with him."

Caroline blinked back.  "Really?!"

"One date."

"Wow, I really didn't think you'd say yes. This is so exciting!"  She rummaged around on her desk, searching for a pen and paper.  "I'll give you his number so you can set something up!"

--------------------------------

"Ugh, what am I doing?" It was Friday evening, shortly before her date with Tony, and Sarah was having major doubts.