🌿The Tall Man - 2

"I-I-I'm so sorry, sir," she sobs out, glancing back at the fat man coming her way

Before she can even think, the tall man puts a hand on her waist and pulls her to a nearby door. He swings it open with a whoosh and pushes her inside then yanks the door closed with a bang locking it behind him.

Surprised by the sudden noise, Flora yelps, and trips over her own feet. She braces herself for the impact of the hard floor. But instead, she lands on the soft cloud of the beds duvet. Closing her eyes, she takes a few deep breaths and stops her crying. Flora finally feeling safe, forgets where she is, and sinks deeper into the bed.

"What are you doing?"

Flora's eyes pop open wide as reality sinks back in at the sound of the man's voice. Flora is frozen on the bed as she glances up at the man. Frustration and anger are all she sees in the man's expression.

"I-I-I'm so sorry s-sir I-um," flora takes a nervous gulp as she tries to sit up.

But the man takes two enormous strides towards the bed. Flora watches the man's angry eyes move as he studies every inch of her sprawled out form on the bed.

"Tell me you aren't a sex worker." The tall man harshly spits out as he shakes with anger. He is clenching his hands into balls of fists.

Flora processes his words with a pause. Feeling her body heat up, she quickly scrambles to the headboard with her knees to her chest. She is scared of this new feeling.

"NO! N-no, I am not one of the sex workers that works here. I just deliver food and drinks. A-and I sometimes take orders." Flora chokes out, desperately hoping this man understands and doesn't force her into anything. But deep down, she knows he wouldn't harm her.

Picking at the frayed edge of her dress. Flora, for the first time, really looks at the man. Taking in his sharp clean-cut features and his large bulky frame. She takes in a shaky breath realizing he could do whatever he wanted to her with ease. Glancing up at his eyes, she notices he doesn't seem as angry anymore.

"Are you going to hurt me." She timidly asks tears ready to spill.

The tall man's eyes turn soft at her question. "Don't worry, hun. It's ok; I would never hurt you." He softly speaks as he reaches a hand to wipe away a tear that escaped. His thumb lingers on her cheek as the man closes his eyes for a second too long.

"Sir." Flora whispers, snapping him back to reality.

Removing his hand, he asks, "what happened out there?" The man's jaw clenches.

"Well, you see, I-I was just doing my job, and I get to this one table..." Flora takes a shaky breath "a-and this man told me to sit on his la-"

"What!"
The tall man looked furious knuckles turning white.

"I-I-I said n-no, but he kept insisting, and t-then, he gripped my wrist and forced me into his lap." Flora rushes out.

The tall man looked like he was going to explode with anger. Flora glances down to his hands. But the man's fists we so tight she thought for a moment if maybe he was hurting himself.

"Then what happened." The man sternly says, pausing on every word.

Flora glances at the window with its rays of golden sunshine coming through the old warped glass. Realizing it's the sunset, Flora smiles and slowly grasps the man's hand.

"Well once I realized no one was going to save me I smashed my foot down hard on his foot..." she starts to unclench his hand one finger at a time, "and then I slammed my elbow hard into the side of his head...wait no I hit his eye, not his head sorry." Little tingles erupt on Flora's fingers as she uncoils his hand.

Relief floods the man's body as he relaxes into her touch.

"Would you like some ice."

Blinking out of his trance, "what why would I want ice?"

"For your hand, sir, doesn't it hurt?"

The man stares at her hand in his. "Yes, thank you. That would be nice."

Flora climbs out of bed with wobbly legs and adjusts her dress.

"I hope the fat man is gone." Flora frowns, unsure of what to do. Will she get fired? If the man is still there, will he take her away? These thoughts are unsettling. No, it won't happen again Flora reassured herself.

"It's ok. I'll check," still holding her hand, the man goes to the door. The door creaks open with a squeak. The noise of men laughing and beers clinking floods into the room. Flora's anxiety spikes at the volume. She wonders why people always have to be so loud, especially men. Flora grips his hand.

The man pokes his head out the door. He turns around and whispers, "he's gone." In her ear. Flora takes in a shaky breath at their closeness. She's never been this close to a man before and felt safe at the same time.

She steps in front of him, still holding his hand to leads him through the crowds of people and tables. She doesn't touch anyone, only flying by with skilled steps. The man can barely keep up distracted by her skill.

Skirts are wishing around her legs to bring him to a little nook near the kitchen a spot with things a waitress would need like forks, knives, and cloth napkins. There's a sink, a bucket of ice, and a stack of dirty dishes.

Flora grabs a cloth and wraps it around some ice. She gently holds both his hands and sets the ice on his knuckles and palm.

"Sir, you need to be careful."

"Thank you...what's your name hun?"

"M-my name is Flora. W-what is your name?"

"Eros. My name is Eros." He whispers eyes flickering to her exposed collar bone.

"AY! Miss, can I get some fresh whiskey over here!" A man who is sitting at the bar yells, raising an empty glass breaking the trance they were in.

"Ah, yes, s-sir, one moment." Flora lowers her head and speaks to Eros handing him the ice

"S-stay here; I will be right b-back."  Before Eros can protest, she grabs her skirt and rushes off. He lets out a low growl of annoyance.

He watches as she pours the man his whiskey. She puts the whiskey bottle away and turns to walk back. But a burly man with an apron and a mustache calls Floras name.

He says a few things to Flora while she nods her head. Eros watches, about to take a step and walk over, but Flora turns to walk back. He grabs her hand.

"Next time, don't walk away like that, alright? What did that man want?"

"He said my shift is over and I can go home. But I didn't earn any pay because w-we lost a customer." Flora's voice trembles. She has no idea how she is going to get dinner tonight. All she's eaten that day was an Orange from her garden.

Eros shakes his head, trying to get rid of the anger swelling inside. Tossing the ice in the sink, he grabs her hand.

"Come on, where do you live? I'm walking you home."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi, thank you for reading ❤️ please vote and comment it means more then you think. Next chapter is coming soon