The Locker Message: 1

ELLE WAS SEATED on the long kitchen stool, listening intently to her parents' lecture about her behavior. She was totally still, wearing a floral print dress and a string of beads around her tiny waist. Her hair was long and wavy, as always. She was one of those people that were considered 'mean girls' in high school. She was ruthless, witty, and fierce, with perfect cheekbones and a striking shape. Nobody wanted to mess with her.

Her gaze never broke from her parents' faces as she watched them go on and on about her stormy disposition. She didn't mind, however, not because she was used to it, but because she was running late for school, which meant she was going to miss class.

"Have I made myself clear?" Her mouth set in a hard line as she heard the deafening voice of her father. She hummed a response and stood up from the stool.

Minutes later, she hopped into her brother's car, hitching a ride to school. The car ride was silent, as it constantly was when she was around. Although he was her twin brother, they were exact opposites of each other, him being nearly everything she wasn't.

On getting to school she headed straight for her locker, her heels clicking with every step she took. Today was the day of the "Locker Message" activity being held at her school a week before homecoming week. She hated the idea because, as attractive as she was, she knew that with her attitude, nobody was going to drop a message for her, and sadly, she knew she had to drop a message for someone too. Her life wasn't like the movies where mean girls had minions. She was on her own. Mean girls had no friends.

Opening her locker, she organized her books and took the ones she needed. As she headed for her first class, she bumped into none other than her brother, Elliot. He was filled to the brim with happiness. A part of her wanted that. Unlike her, he had been looking forward to the locker message day. Muttering a quick 'sorry' to her, he continued on his way. She wished he had stopped to chat.

Holding her head high, she continued walking to her first class, stopping at her brother's locker and slipping in the message she had written when nobody was looking.

By lunchtime, everyone would have their lockers flooding with messages.

She would have none.