( 1 )

Tiki fell to the road as she slid as far as she could and pulled her nail from the cliff face then dusted herself off.

What a sad little town this was...

There were many houses built on the surface, but most of them seemed boarded up except for perhaps two or three that had been lit. Tiki strode down the path to a bench that sat beneath one of the lumafly lamps, noticing a larger bug marginally hunched over with age. He turned his head and seemed almost surprised at Tiki's presence, looking at her expectantly with a small smile.

"Ah, greetings, young one," He said. "How nice it is to see another fresh face around. We've been getting quite a handful of those recently."

Tiki hadn't spoken to another bug in a while and sat at the bench. "Hello," she mustered back. She hadn't realised she was still out of breath until she spoke. "I've come a long way, so I'm sorry to say that I won't be staying here longer than I must."

The elder bug nodded silently. "I see. I noticed the nail you carry with you; you must be quite strong." He leaned closer towards and, his eyes steering from her to right ahead of them. "I do not wish to venture down there, but I must warn you: this town has seen many of its habitants travel downwards and very few return."

Only a few returns? Tiki had to stop herself from laughing. She thought she was strong, stronger than what others anticipated her for.

"I'm always eager for a challenge or a fight. That place doesn't scare me!" The elder bug looked at her with concern.

"Hmm, that's quite bold of you to say... Only four of our current inhabitants who have travelled down there have returned. This young warrior seems to have a talent for bringing back people we thought to have lost- while it has only been the shop keeper from behind me and the young one living behind the cartographers. Apart from them and this adventurous spirit who has yet to come to the surface again, I hope that you find yourself capable of surviving."

"This talk is only making me more thrilled to finally go down there for myself."

The elder bug chuckled softly. "I was afraid that may have excited you... What is your name?"

"Ah, sorry. My name is Tiki. Thank you..."

"Please, call me Elderbug. That's how many refer to me as."

"Thank you then, Elderbug."

She dropped herself from the iron bench and walked over to the end of the town where another bug stood. He was about double the height of Tiki and if it weren't for his solid shell, his only other protection were shoulder pads. He held a shield to his arm and wore a hat that managed to cover up his dark face entirely.

'Seems like he might be here the same reason as I am,' She thought. He was peering down the well, almost as if he was waiting for something to come up from it.

Tiki subconsciously mimicked him by peeking down the hole. The other bug narrowed his white eyes at her and stood up straight as if he had only just noticed the company. "So, you plan on following these uncharted roads as well?" He asked with a nasally voice.

"Yes," she answered. "What of it?" The bug snickered at her. "Seeing as you seem the challenging type, I may have a suggestion to make to you..." Before finishing what he was saying, he had already jumped down into the well. She heard a thud then jumped down herself, grabbing the rope to delay her fall.