[THREE - CORRIDOR]

"You'll get the premature onset of dragon pox," you said casually. "C'mon, Dorian — smoking's bad for your lungs."

"And?" he mused, inhaling the cloying essence  of a crude joint. "I've never been one for rules."

The cackle of the incoming poltergeist sent Dorian scurrying into a nearby corridor. "Dory's in trouble! Sent another one of those firecrackers off next to Merrythought's room!" warbled Peeves as he zoomed past.

"Reckon that I'll be able to dodge detention again?" he asked, having discarded his joint. Evidently, the threat of dragon pox had discouraged him.

"There's no Quidditch or Charms Club today, so you can't fool him with that again."

He sighed, running a hand through his caramel locks. The casual motion induced a litter of giggles from a group of passing third-years, whom he winked at.

"Ahem? When you're done, loverboy, let me know."

He smiled lazily at you, the kind that would make most people succumb to a puddle of infatuation — had it not been for your cursed affections for a certain Slytherin. "No need to be impatient. Thanks for the reality check, I'll come up with a solution if he corners me."

"Sorting flobberworms, eh?" Alina had sidled up to you both. Though she denied it, there was no doubt that she nursed a soft spot for Dorian.

"Maybe, Lin. We'll see."

"Stop calling me that!" she protested, though the flush on her cheeks betrayed her.

Dorian smiled sheepishly. "Sorry, that was rude of me," he began. Before he could continue, someone caught his eye.

"Charlie!" he called, eyes alight with hope. A tall, pleasant-looking Ravenclaw waved at him before hurrying towards the west wing.

"He's straight," you informed him with regret. He frowned, straightening his tie nervously. "My mistake. I was just planning our wedding."

You jerked your head to the right, as to say, Are you okay? He subtly winced in response, an action that Alina caught but didn't question. If there was anything you knew about Dorian, it was that he took out his feelings on that poor tie of his, which was rather battered from magical experiments and irritation.

"You'll find someone, Dorian. You deserve happiness, no matter what," reassured Alina. "Best not purchase Chocolate Frogs at your future wedding, though. [Y/N]'s got an awful sweet tooth."

"Do not!" you objected.

"Yes, you do," countered Dorian. "Remember second year, after the winter holiday? You gorged on so many sweets that you got food poisoning."

"No, it was because you gave me the nastiest Every-Flavor beans."

"Can't relate," said Alina. "We never had those at Beauxbatons. Though I'm sorry that Dorian was such an imbecile."

"Okay, miss I'm-half-French," teased Dorian, who promptly silenced at the swish of an all-too familiar cloak.

Four hands pushed you into the hallway, right in front of Tom. Dorian and Alina disappeared in a flash, leaving you with him and many a curious stare.

"Walk with me to Charms?" he asked, though it was more of a statement than anything. You nodded, falling into step besides him.

"How have the intern sessions with Slughorn been going?" you asked.

"Well," he answered shortly. "He's given me quite a few pointers that will drastically improve my potion-making."

"Teach me, later?" You looked at him with imploring eyes, causing Tom to laugh (albeit unnaturally).