Chapter 1

Darkness; cold, cold darkness. The air around me is damp and cold; my fur is still wet and sticking to my small frame. Why hasn't my mother licked me clean yet? Why hasn't she let me suckle and make me warm with my other siblings? Why can't I feel my mother and father's presence? There's no one here, where has everyone gone?

I begin to crawl around, chirping helplessly and blindly for my creators and siblings. But, no one is around, the only things that are around are the ground and something soft under me; shivering I mewl pitifully for anyone nearby to care for me. I keep mewling before poking my tiny nose around and feel gentle, warm jaws pick me up and I stiffen. I couldn't see anything but I knew where we may have been going; the air became warm and the smell around is musty and damp. I've been set down into something very soft and comforting before squeaking softly when I feel strong, gentle brisk strokes of a tongue, cleaning my fur. I sniff and smell milk! I quickly drag myself to the source and suckle hungrily; tugging and kneading the soft belly of my rescuer. I start to purr and listen in a strained manner as the one who rescued me and took me into her home whispers gentle, soothing words to me as she continues to clean my fur gently.

"You're safe, little one. I'll protect you for as long as I live and won't let any harm come to you." she soothed, "You're my daughter now..."

I continue suckling hungrily, kneading with my tiny paws and then I finish with a full plump belly. I curl up tightly, snuggling into the stranger's soft bellyfur and drink in her comforting, sweet scent; feeling the licks again, I purr happily and snuggle into her even more before smiling softly as I hear her say something that designates me for life...

"My little Clawfang"