Chapter 2 'The Beast Out Of Ice'

Hours and hours dragged on, each passing second filled with hard work and exhausted and sweating bodies. Workers strained through their struggles and cramped muscles, continuing to dig out the ice with huge drills and picks as well to get around the titan's detailed frame.

The hot summer heat may be high above them but the coolness wasn't enough to suffice. Bottles upon bottles of cold water bottles lined up tables and clothing pieces such as jackets, vests, even in some cases shirts, but those were the guys.

(Y/N) was standing near a makeshift table, enjoying the feeling of refreshing chilled water sliding down her gullet, her throat appreciating the feeling of being replenished. After she finished off the whole plastic bottle, she dropped it in a recycling bin nearby and went right back to work.

Before she endured her winding work, she glanced up at the enormous titan, halfway out of the ice officially.

So many concerned questions lingered in her mind as she went to work, chipping the ice away.

What would happen if the creature was free? Would it awaken? What side is it on? Should we even bother with this? Will our off-the-grid organization be noticed and be alerted by the government or other organization like Monarch? And what would I be forced to choose? Prison time or become a fugitive and keep running for the rest of my restricted life?

I keep doubting myself again, it's just a habit I had picked up along the years. The woman huffed with exhaustion but pushed and strained her now weak muscles as she finish clearing away part of the beasts front talons.

Now that I can really see them, they were serrated and bent like an eagles claw. Interesting, she thought, finishing up any leftover ice.

Brian came over seeming to notice me daze off and stare at the claws of a ginormous creature a few feet in front of me.

"Hey, you okay? You looked like you were in another dimension?"

I looked up seeing one of my team members talking to me.

"Yeah yeah I'm good, how's the other side looking?" I said, wanting to know the progress we were making.

"Pretty good, we got the whole tail and wing out, now we are all gathering around the torso and legs."

I nodded before I remembered something.

I excused myself before jogging over to the lockers and pulled mine open, unzipping my bag and taking out a clipboard with papers on it, along with a pencil.

I sat down on a nearby plastic chair before writing down some characteristics and theories of the titan, also mentioning the types of claw shapes, wing formation, and the muscular head.

I had a main theory which concluded that the beast was a hybrid between an eagle, some type of huge bat, a dragon of some sort, and a possible mix breed of other titans as well but I didn't know yet. This creature is so fascinating and abnormal, but I always said that with every good find, there's a bad history.

And this sums it up.

I put my materials away before some of the higher authoritative figures came down and yelled through a speaker phone for everyone to leave the site. Stampedes of people rushed out of the hole, either wanting to sleep or to get away from the slumbering beast under the surface that they were potentially unfreezing.

Josh, Lia, and Brian met up with me after they grabbed their bags, us flowing with the crowd until we reached the surface and a chilled wind breezed by, causing the group to hold their jackets and bags closer to them for warmth.

After they found their Land Rover Defender, they buckled up inside and Brian drove away.

(Y/N) sat in the passenger seat while Josh and Lia were in the back, asleep as soon as they laid back on the leather seats.

She watched her surroundings with a lazy gaze, noticing the millions of bright constellations lighting up the sky. After a while of watching, her heavy eyelids kept declining downward until she fell into a heavy sleep as Brian drove them to a town not far from the site where many hotels and buildings stood, waiting for most if not all of the workers to sign in and make observations for rooms.

—Two Weeks Later—

It's been two whole weeks of excruciating nonstop work, only talking small breaks to eat or drink water. (Y/N) always wrote on the papers she brought, and as for being a zoologist, it was her responsibility to discover and learn about new things, including gigantic, ancient creatures of mass destruction and power.

Finally after a few more hours, it was 4:30 pm and everyone had officially chipped and smashed away all signs of ice, melting into puddles remaining on the stone ground.

It was free. The monster was clear to the workers eyes, the huge muscular figure showing off every detailed scale and the face as the glowing crimson red eyes glared back in front of her. About a week ago, because the back end of the titan was defrosted and cleaned from any ice crystals, the woman studied the gender and found out it was female.

If you looked closely at the inside of the wing's webs, you could see a sort of twinkling pattern across the webs, glittering off like a night sky.

Quite beautiful and breathtaking if she said so herself, although Josh is maybe a level lower then the rest of our small group when it comes to the fascination of the Titan, not coming for the enjoyment of uncovering yet another titan and releasing it into the world, instead he only needed the money to help his sick mother, which really melted everyone's hearts really.

Anyways, getting back on track, now what? There hard work to unveil the beast was brought to the light...but what next? Do we wake it up and say "hey scary ancient monster titan, you should wake up and leave this compound because we helped you, in return can you tell us what your story is?"

Unfortunately that's not how that would've turned out.

Was this a mistake? Maybe we should have told Monarch or even Apex Cybernetics, they would've known what to do.

As all of the workers take in the sight and accomplishment of their illegal job, one thing still managed to squirm into (Y/N)'s mind.

If and when it awakens, my only concern is...what side was it on before it was trapped and frozen in a solid block of ice underneath a scorching hot desert? Was this something we really wanted to uncover? Did we want another King Ghidorah on the loose?

Did we just make a life changing mistake?...