Part Two

"Merynda!" a shrill voice cried. "Merynda Cain."

          Meryn untangled herself from Everett at once. Hastily, she grabbed the tray and thrust it back over the fire, all the while cursing herself. She and Everett had never been so careless as to meet in the kitchens. He would slip her a message asking her to wait in the attic after dark. Only then would they discuss their relationship and her spying.

          Nate's disappearance had been too urgent to wait.

          With only seconds to spare, Meryn managed to look entirely engrossed in her work as rotund woman with straggly black hair burst into the kitchen. Her eyes landed on Everett immediately.

         "Major Hale," she said harshly. "What does of man of your standing mean by lurking down here?"

          Meryn swore under her breath. Everett should have at least tried to hide.

          Nodding curtly, Everett replied, "My deepest apologies, Madam. I intended no harm. I arrived only a half hour before with an urgent message for Ms. Cain. I am afraid it could not have waited."

         Meryn was relieved he had remembered to use her false surname. Unlike when she had first joined the Crymsian military, she had opted to use an alias during her time at the court. The Cade family was an old one. Though their fortune was gone, they maintained their status and family manor. Someone might have questioned why a Lady, albeit a poor one, would accept a position as a cook.

          Her decision later allowed Nate to visit the court as himself after he began to work under Everett without having to explain his connection to her.

          Madam Siddall harrumphed, turning up her nose. One would think the lords and ladies of the Court would be the fiercest guardians of the class boundaries between its residents. Hephzibah Siddall has proven a stricter champion, despite being a housekeeper and a member of the staff herself.

          "Well, if you've delivered it, I suggest you get back upstairs. I overheard your lord father inquiring about you to one of your men."

          Overheard. Meryn stifled a laugh. It was well-established throughout the staff that Madam Siddall was rather nosy. She spent many a nights leering at the courtesans from the servants' stairs. Once, the butler caught her peeking. One of the maids said he turned redder than the kingdom's banners. He hauled her away and spent a good hour lecturing her on the proper protocols, her, of all people. Meryn would have liked to see that spectacle.

          "Well," the madam pressed, glaring daggers at Everett. From the corner of her eye, Meryn saw Everett clasp his hands behind his back, entirely concealing the watch and bag, which he must have snatched from the table. She could collect Nate's possessions from him once they got away from Madam Siddall.

          Her eyes watered at the thought of her brother. A tear trickled down the side of her face. She removed a hand from the tray to brush it away.

          "Are you crying, girl?" the madam demanded suddenly. Meryn jumped, nearly tipping the tray. One of the rolls might have fallen had she not recovered so quickly.

          "I beg pardon for her," Everett explained. "She has received some rather tragic news. It is her brother, you see."

          Fortunately, Madam Siddall did not inquire about her brother. Meryn felt too drained to fabricate a convincing lie. She could not very well admit to being Nate's sister. Nathaniel Cade was a relatively familiar face to those at the court. When he enlisted in the Crymsian army, his first post had been here at the manor. He had quickly endeared himself to much of the staff, as well as several of the residents. Oh Nate, no one ever met him who did not like him. Now . . . now Meryn could not bear to think what may have happened to him, or of the blood. How much had spilled? Everett had said drops, so it could not have been enough to be fatal. Still, her mind would not stop picturing Nate lying dead on the floor of his carriage, or in the woods somewhere.