chapter thirteen

(Y/N)'s POV

Dipper shot a stare across at me, struggling to find the right response. I noticed that he became incredibly uncomfortable; he had shifted around, his eyes darting to several different places in the room and avoiding my own eyes. His fingers twiddled together and he bit the inside of his cheek quite often.

Finally, he was able to muster something in response to my question. "Well, uh, I mean-" he stuttered, his face showing he was definitely conflicted about what he should say and what he shouldn't. "There's a lot to Bill, it would take quite a while to explain everything."

"I've got a while," I quickly added, trying to encourage him to spill everything. I was beyond ready to know what he knew, and it made me feel ten times better that he wasn't a figment of my imagination, but at the same time, I didn't know if Bill's existence was a good or bad thing.

"Actually, there's something else." he sighed, looking down at his lap and then slowly looking back up at me. "There's sorta this law that prevents us from talking about it."

I would've believed he was joking if it wasn't for his serious look towards me. I felt my heart sink; I had gotten so close to the answers, and then they just slipped out of my hands. "Oh," I choked slowly, frowning and looking at my own lap.

"But, maybe-" Dipper began, trying to lift the mood, "Maybe, if I can find the time and place, we can talk about it." he said, giving me a half smile hopefully.

I glanced back up at him, not being able to hold back my own smile. I had completely forgotten we were at a party, the music downstairs still as loud as it had been, but I could barely hear it. I felt like I had escaped to a different world, I had blocked out reality and just let the words fall out of my mouth. I felt like I had never done that before.

"Hey, the party isn't really over yet. Wanna, go down and relax for a little bit? I think after everything that's happened, you deserve it." Dipper suggested, still giving me a smile.

"That sounds like a great idea." I said slowly, giving in and standing up. I was still partially dizzy from the drink, but it was finally starting to wear off.

***

We had danced for about an hour, or at least I thought it had been an hour, I had lost track of time. Time really does fly when you're having fun, doesn't it?

Mabel, Dipper, and I were eventually the last ones there—everyone else had left at around eleven—and we were having a great time, cracking jokes and dancing to the top songs that Soos played on the speakers. I could've swore I had seen Stan dancing from a small balcony near the top of the room, but I didn't pay much attention.

At one point, I excused myself to use the restroom, and while in there, I touched up my makeup slightly, although it was hardly noticeable under the vibrant flashing lights emitting from stage lights in the rafters.

As I looked at my complexion in the mirror, I had noticed that my eye's swelling had decreased significantly, but I quickly pushed the thought out of my mind.

I stood in front of the mirror longer than I had intended to, and I let my mind wonder about the simplest of things. Thoughts of the night's events swam through my head along with memories of how beautiful the sunsets were in Kentucky. Unfortunately, I hadn't been able to see a sunset here yet, but I planned to eventually.

Subconsciously, I began thinking about what Bill meant by his little farewell rhyme.

Into Sixer's office you must peek.

That sounded so familiar, but yet so unknown and I couldn't seem to decode what he meant. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath in, repeating the words carefully in my head in an attempt to understand them.