Chapter 1: Hospital

Third Person's POV

Daryl's voice. That's the last thing that Cassidy remembered. She didn't know where she was and she didn't know what was happening, but she remembered his voice. So when she opened her eyes, she expected him to be there.

"Daddy?" She questioned, squinting her eyes as the light pouring through the window was too bright for her. She blinked and tried again to open her eyes, letting them get used to the new conditions.

"Daddy?" Sadie whispered, which led into a coughing fit. She glanced around the room and realized she was in a hospital.

That's when the memories came flooding back to her: how the buck ran into her, how she tumbled down the cliff, and how she had landed on one of her arrows and it had pierced through her abdomen.

She glanced around the room one more time and when she confirmed that she was alone, she started taking out all the needles and all other medical tools from her body.

Sadie turned onto her side to start to get off the bed, but stopped when her stomach throbbed heavily and a mild pain shot through her. She took a few deep breaths before continuing to roll onto her side and then sit up.

But as soon as she got onto her feet, they gave out from under her and she fell to the ground with a thud.

"Nurse! Nurse!" Sadie exclaimed, but her hoarse voice made it so she couldn't go above a whisper. After a few moments of waiting for a response, Sadie decided she would just have to do it herself.

She used the hospital bed to help pull herself up and once she was up, she managed to stumble to the bathroom. Immediately she went for the sink for water. She felt as if she hadn't had a drink in weeks, though she knew that was impossible.

As far as she knew, she had a drink of water just the other day when they were out hunting. Little did she know that it had been considerably longer than just the other day.

Once she had quenched her thirst, she decided to leave her hospital room to find out where the hospital staff were and what was happening.

When Sadie opened the door to the hallway, she had to push a trolley aside, which had been in front of the door. The hallway was scattered with papers and the one light that was on was flickering, but what really confused her was the blood splatters along the wall.

She decided to head towards the main desk as she figured it would give her some answers. As she approached, she saw a man in a hospital gown with the desk's phone to his ear.

"Hello?" Sadie voiced as she walked down toward the stranger. The man immediately put the phone down and turned around to face her.

"Sir, do you know what happened? Where everyone is?" Sadie questioned and stopped in front of him. He shook his head. "No, I was just wondering that myself. I just woke up in my room." He explained.

"I just woke up in my room too. I'm Cassidy Dixon, but everyone calls me Sadie. You?" Sadie introduced herself. "I'm Rick. Rick Grimes." The man introduced himself.

"Well Rick, Rick Grimes, you were just on the phone. Were you able to get anyone?" Sadie questions and Rick shook his head. "No, the line was disconnected." He answered and then glanced around again.

Down the hall was a flickering light. Rick started toward it and Sadie followed behind him. The flickering light was coming from a hallway behind a door. Rick looked through the window on the door and was horrified by what he saw.

A woman's corpse was laying on the ground. Her stomach looked as if it was eaten and you could just see her organs and blood-covered ribs. Her arms were eaten down to the bones, which were also covered with blood along with her legs.

Sadie came up behind him to look through the window and Rick quickly moved to try and block her view. He was horrified and confused, but his instinct was to protect the eleven-year-old from seeing the disturbing sight. But it was too late. Sadie saw.

Sadie wasn't unused to seeing corpses, even gutted ones, but they had always been animals that she had hunted with her dad and/or uncle. This was her first human corpse that she had seen like this and she couldn't lie, it frightened her.

"What the hell?" She gasped, stepping away from the door. Rick tapped her arm and then started walking away, signalling to follow him. So she did. They turned around and started down a new hallway.

This hallway was like the first one Sadie was in, but worse. Papers were scattered across the floor, puddles of blood stained the floor, and the ceiling was ripped open. It just became worse when they noticed many bullet holes along the wall.

"Sadie, I think you should stick with me until we figure out what's going on." Rick spoke, glancing back at the young girl. "No arguments here." Sadie agreed.

At the end of the hallway was a set of double doors with a slab of wood and a padlock through the handles. "Don't dead, open inside?" Sadie questioned, reading the words on the door.

Confused, she squinted at the writing until a light bulb went off in her head. "Ohhh, 'Don't open, dead inside'. That makes sense." Sadie said and then realized that didn't make sense either. Why were there dead people inside?

Then the door started rattling from the other side. Sadie and Rick glanced at each other and then back at the doors before a pale white hand stuck through. Followed by more pale white hands.

Sadie turned to her left and started quickly walking down the connecting hallway, Rick right behind her. They went through a door and then she headed straight for an elevator. She pressed the button but it didn't light up or make a sound, so she just moved over to the emergency exit right next to it.

The door led to a staircase, but once the door shut behind them, it was complete darkness. That is, until Rick lit a match.

Sadie and Rick stumbled down the staircase, lighting a new match whenever the old one would go out.

Then they got to the door and glanced at each other before pushing it open.