Shield

Shield

"You don't have to worry about him." He assured me, his voice was like ice in my veins. My heart thundered in my ribcage, rattling with the fear of being found.

"Easy for you to say, you're not the one who always pissed him off. Look, no offense, but, I just met you. I'm not exactly sold on you, yet." I laughed, my tone dark and somber.

"You've known me for longer than you think. I'm no stranger and you know it." He leaned forward, elbows on his knees, looking at his feet.

"Why haven't you shown me who you are?" I asked. He turned his head and cocked it to one side, almost looking puppy-ish with a deviant grin.

"Do you want to see?" He paused. "Is that something you really want?"

"It's something I have a curiosity for." I turned on my heel to face him as he stepped closer. I could smell the faint kiss of night and the caress of his cologne as he slowly walked toward me, his eyes sultry like he was stalking his prey.

"Very well." He was too close, now, the feeling of his power radiated off of him, shocking me like electricity in my bones, rocking my suddenly unsteady legs. In a giant burst of light and shock, a pair of white, leathery wings surrounded us. His hands had grown twice in size, along with his stature. Before, he towered over my stocky, short frame. Now, though, his muscles rippled and his bones popped, the sound of his wings coraked like an old wooden floor. He was stretching, his entire body was stretching. Talons curved from the points in his wings, interlocking around me to create a barrier between us and the room. His teeth were sharper, menacing as he tried to hide his smile from me.

"Don't hide yourself; I'm not afraid." I tried to reach up and touch his shoulder as he bent to his knees to meet my gaze.

"Good. You don't have to be." He pressed himself back to stand. "We rarely show this side of ourselves, don't break that trust." He stopped and turned away from me. Just as quickly as he changed into the beast, he was back to his human form. Though, I questioned ever being able to see his human form fully again.