House Haunting

House Haunting  

Around midnight, Posey's mom arrived. Her black frizzy hair was thrown up in a messy bun. She wore the same sweatpants from the morning and her glasses hung around her heck in a cheap gold chain.

"George," She called out when she neared her husband. "The doctor's say anything else?"

George looked up at his wife with sleepy tired eyes. As she took a seat he rubbed his face.

"They took her out of surgery, she's on life support." He informed his wife. "Millie, my little girl...that's my little girl."

Both Posey and her mother teared up.

"Ain't nothing gonna happen to her," Millie said taking a hold of her husband's hand. "We raised her right, it ain't her time yet."

George nodded. "Who you leave the kid with?"

"I called your mother," Millie sighed. "Rosey sure took her time driving over."

George didn't say anything else. He stretched his legs out and leaned his head against the wall.

"Go home, George." Millie said after a while. "I'll stay the night, you go and come back in the morning."

"Nah," George waved her off.

"I'm serious....this is not good for your blood pressure."

Tobias had his eyes glued on Posey on the floor as she watched her parents argue. She was like a little doe. Her bottom lip trembled as her big brown eyes stayed glued on her parents. Her long legs were folded in front of her and her fingers twirled the string of her shirt.

After a few more minutes, George finally agreed to head home for the night. He walked over to the glass window and looked at Posey's body one last time before walking to the door.

"I think you should go with him," Tobias said, turning to Posey. "You shouldn't stay here all night."

Posey nodded as she got off the floor. She wiped her tears and followed her father out of the hospital with her head hanging low. Tobias awkwardly followed behind her.

Once outside, George looked around at the empty street and spotted the church across the street. He crossed the road with Posey and Tobias behind him and walked into the church.

Posey stayed close to her father as he walked down the aisle and took a seat at the wooden benches. She sat next to her father and Tobias sat on the other side of George.

The church was silent. Most of the lights were shut off. Only a few up front by the altar were lit along with long white wax candles.

George's sobs began to fill the empty void of the church. He shut his eyes as his shoulders shook. Posey's eyes watered again and he reached out and placed a hand over her father's. Of course, George didn't feel it, but it made Posey feel better.

"I'm supposed to walk her down the aisle," George said looking up at the cross. "I don't wanna carry my little girl's casket down the aisle."

Tobias shifted uncomfortably in his seat as Posey began to cry even harder with her father. He got up after a while and walked outside. It was strange for him, to feel so drawn to those tears.

Tobias Stood outside the church for a while, watching the hospital in front of him. After several minutes, Posey passed through the doors behind him.

Tobias looked at her tear stained face. Unlike her friend Zoe, Posey's eyes were not smeared in black ink. They were just washed out and red. Yet they were still the most vibrant brown eyes Tobias had ever seen.