ONE

THE RECKONING

In the gym of Mystic Falls High School, a girl is struggling to stay on one foot while standing upright

In the gym of Mystic Falls High School, a girl is struggling to stay on one foot while standing upright. An older man looks her way, indifference on his face.

"Keep it up," the man says offhandedly, eyes watching the girl struggle some more, letting out a sob.

"Where's Stefan?" A brunette asks from beside him, keeping her eyes off the struggling girl and looking at the man beside her. "What did you do to him?"

"Stefan's on a time out," is all the man says. Then, the doors to the gym open, a dark skinned girl and a white boy walking through towards the others in the gym, not realizing what they are walking into.

"Bonnie, get out of here!" The brunette yells, stepping forward while staring with fear at the dark skinned girl. Before any of them can blink, the man speeds over to Bonnie, standing in front of her and blocking her way.

"Ah, I was wondering when you'd show up," the man says with a sinister smile on his face. "Now we can get started."

"Ah, Dana," the man says, looking at the girl with one for in the air. "Why don't you relax? You and Chad sit tight."

The girl falls backward into Chad's arms as she continues to cry softly, the two students sitting on the ground quickly, but they do not move any further.

"I assume you're the reason Elena's still walking around alive?" The man continues while looking back at Bonnie, eyebrows raised as she watches her face go from fearful to defiance.

"That's right. If you want to blame someone, blame me," Bonnie says, confidence leaking out of her mouth, yet the man could still hear the fear in her voice.

"Oh, there's no need for blame, love. Just your witchy interference seems to have caused some undesirable side effects. And since you caused the problem, I'm going to have you find the fix." As the man talks, a blonde woman throws the gym doors open, walking in with confidence as she drags a boy with her. The boy is visibly struggling as the woman is too strong for him to free himself.

"Get off of me!" The black haired boy yells, attempting again to free himself from her grasp, but is unsuccessful.

"Hush now," the blonde says, annoyed, as if the black haired boy should be okay with her dragging him around against his will.

"I'd like you all to meet my sister Rebekah," the man introduces the blonde, putting a hand out to motion to her. "Word of warning, she can be quite mean."

"Don't be an ass," is all Rebekah says as she throws the boy into her brother's arms, who grips onto the boy so he cannot leave.

"Leave him alone!" The brunette yells, but she doesn't make a move to try and help. She knows she is no match for the two siblings.