♡HOPE IS A DANGEROUS THING ♡

April 3rd, 1989
"I'm sure mom. I don't have a boyfriend yet.." Maggie huffed for the final time. She cradled the phone between her shoulder and ear as she chatted with her mother over the phone. They made time to chat a few times every week, and every single call, Maggie would be interrogated by her mother about her romantic life.

"Ok, I'll lay off.." Nancy Jolivet sighed, making her daughter chuckle. "How's work?" Maggie asked. "It's been good. Performed a few minor surgeries today, and those went well." Nancy answered. Maggie smiled faintly. Her mother's career had a considerable positive impact on her life. She had grown up wanting to be a surgeon, just like her mother.

It was funny how things turned out. Dreams of pursuing a challenging career in the medical field melted into the apathetic reality of stripping for cash.

"When will you go to school?" Nancy asked softly, causing Maggie to wince. "I'm not sure, mom." The line went silent for a few moments, before Nancy sighed. "Well, whatever you decide, I'll be there to support you." She said, causing Maggie to smile weakly.

"Thanks, mom. Well, I've gotta go. I love you and miss you." She said, curling the telephone cord around her pointer finger. "Love you too. You should come visit soon. I know you miss New York." She really insisted, making Maggie laugh. "Yeah, I'll visit soon. Love you, bye."

She then hung up.

She set the telephone down, and exhaled.

She missed her mother. Nancy was the only family she had left. She sometimes considered moving back to New York, but ultimately decided against it, comfortable as she could be in Aberdeen. She despised Aberdeen and the people in it, but felt an odd mixture of wanting to leave but feeling a mix of apathy and comfort caused her to stay. She was a creature of habit, it seemed. Change was bad.

"How's your mom?" Cleo called from the kitchen. "She's good!" Maggie shouted back, rising up from her cushion of the couch. Cleo emerged from the kitchen, a bowl of cereal in her hand. She sat down at the small cluttered table in the center of the room.

"We should go out tonight." Jenny stated, peeking her head in the doorframe of the living room. "Where would we go?" Cleo asked. Jenny tapped her fingers against her chin, looking quite thoughtful.

Silence fell over the room as the women thought.

Jenny suddenly snapped her fingers, looking over at Maggie. "That guy that gave you his number, call and ask him about a show!" She exclaimed, sitting down beside Maggie. She quirked an eyebrow. "I don't know..." she muttered. "Please. Pretty please." Jenny plead, resting her chin on Maggie's shoulder.

She sighed heavily, tipping her head back in dread. "Go grab his number from the fridge." She grumbled. She had transferred his number from the skin of her arm to a scrappy sheet of notebook paper when she came home that night. "Thank you!" Jenny squealed.

Her optimism was annoying, but kept the household grounded.

She scrambled into the kitchen. Cleo laughed as she quickly emerged with the piece of paper in her hands. She grabbed the telephone and sat it in Maggie's lap, then plopped down alongside her. Maggie snatched the paper from Jenny's pale hands and dialed the number harshly, punching each key angrily.

Her heart was pounding so intensely it hurt. She was already sweating as she cradled the phone against her ear. The phone rang a couple times, before someone finally answered. "Hello?" The voice sounded like it belonged to the tall friend of Kurts, krist.

"Hi, it's Maggie. I don't k-" krist quickly cut her off. "You're the girl from the club! Hold on, I'll get Kurt." He exclaimed. She heard a muffled yell, and footsteps. Her lips quirked into a small smile. He was very interesting..

She clutched the phone tighter as she heard some ruckus in the background. A familiar voice soon softened her. "Hello?" Kurts voice sounded wonderfully raspy over the phone. "Hi, it's Maggie. You guys got any shows tonight?" She asked, laughing nervously. Kurt chuckled, making her feel less awkward.

"Yeah, we do actually. We're playing at a dive bar, and a few other bands are playing too, so it should be fun. You interested?" "Of course."

"Alright, it's at this dive bar. I'll give you the directions." Jenny quickly grabbed a pen, tossing it to Maggie, who barely caught it. She wrote down the simple directions as Kurt spoke.

His voice made her heart warm and she loathed the feeling.

Kind of a short one, sorry❤️ love you guys