Chapter 6

"Jack… Jack please wake up", Mac pleaded. Worry for his partner was increasing with every unresponsive second.

Mac threw his body weight to the side closest to his partner. The chair scraped on the concrete as it inched closer to his friend. Mac's broken rib was protesting with every inch he gained. Finally he was close enough to touch Jack's hand.

He felt the reassuring, strong, and steady thrum of his friend's pulse. Furrowing his brow he also felt heat radiating from the older man. Jack felt unnaturally hot in the cool cement room. "Dammit!" Mac exclaimed, finding the culprit. The knife wound at Jacks shoulder was red and angry looking with yellow fluid draining from it. His skin was showing an unhealthy pallor in contrast to his usual tanned complexion.

He had to get Jack out of there and fast. If he couldn't, sepsis could kill Jack before Sinclair had the chance. Mac made up his mind then, he couldn't afford to wait a moment longer. Resolute in his goal, he commenced on the long and arduous journey across the room. Sweat began to bead on his brow with the exertion. He looked back to Jack to gauge his progress. Damn he had only made a couple feet, he still had eight to go.

Throwing his body weight forward and up, he inched closer to his goal. Leaning forward to replicate the move, he heard a moan behind him. Mac jerked his head towards his partner, "M-Mac," Jack moaned.

"Jack…," relief flooded his tone. "Hey big guy, ya with me?" Jack's soft brown eyes fluttered open slowly as he raised his head with another pained moan.

The last few moments before Alex had turned out the lights replayed in Jack's mind just before he returned to consciousness: Mac taking a beating while Jack was powerless to stop the attack. Mac taking a vicious hit to the face and spitting blood.

"M-Mac," With awareness came the pain, he hurt everywhere. Raising his head elicited a pained moan. He pried his eyes open, searching out Mac. He found his friend in front of him, relieved to see him mostly intact. "Hey, brother. What did I miss?" He asked furrowing his brow in confusion.

"Not much really. If I can reach the knife from the table over there, I might be able to cut these restraints." Mac said, resuming his slow trek across the room. "How are you feeling by the way?"

"Peachy." Jack replied. Mac stopped to look back at his partner. His expression conveying just how Mac felt about his answer. "I'll be better when we both get out of here." Jack conceded. Accepting his partner's answer as the best he was going to get under the circumstances, Mac faced forward and got back to work.

"About the deal you made earlier, bud, I need you to know that I will never leave you behind, never.

Mac stopped, hanging his head briefly before turning to look at his friend again.

His partner's soft brown eyes were glistening with unshed tears. "Protecting you is more than just my job, kid. I'd never forgive myself if anything…" his voice broke on the last word, one tear escaping and streaking down his face. "I can't lose you Mac."

Swallowing the lump in his throat, Mac stated, "I can't lose you either Jack. Why do you think I tried to make the deal in the first place? You may think you have the market cornered in that department, but you don't." A fresh wave of guilt came crashing into him at the mention of the deal. "It's all my fault," Mac continued, lowering his head and shaking it side to side.

"That's bullshit Mac! Don't you dare blame any of this on yourself! None of this is your fault! If you want to blame someone blame me. I'm the one who let my guard down which allowed us to be taken in the first place."

"Jack, none of this is your fault either. Okay?" Jack nodded, but wasn't convinced.

"Hey, how long do you think we've been here?" Jack asked, changing the subject.

Resuming his trip across the room Mac answered, "Maybe two days." 'The worst two days ever,' Mac thought to himself.

They had been through some tough scrapes before, but nothing like this. "I think this mission officially passes Cairo as the suckiest." Jack stated. Mac nodded his head in agreement.

They had been in the city of Batman, Turkey, when they had gotten ambushed. The city had been named after a nearby river, not the superhero.

Mac looked back at his partner at the sound of his friends chuckle, "What are you laughing about?" he asked perplexed.

"I was just thinking if now, instead of Cairo, we would say, 'We don't talk about Batman'." Jack said, flashing his trademark smile. Mac couldn't stop the giggle that bubbled out of him. Only Jack could make him laugh in a situation like this.

Mac was nearly there, just a couple more feet to go. Once at the table he should be able to reach the knife, then cut themselves loose. He could see the knife, covered in Jack's blood.

Hearing distant voices, he shot a panicked look towards his partner. No no no no! He scooted as fast as he could back to his place next to Jack.

His heart raced, if Sinclair discovered the flaw in his security they would be screwed.

As the footsteps got louder, Mac realized he wasn't going to make it back to where they left him. Just then the door creaked open.

To be continued...