Chapter 15

I stayed silent and watched her with wide eyes while she popped her head out of the water. My mouth was dry, and my heart pounded in my chest while blood rushed through my ears.

Was she a mermaid? Was that why she didn't want me to know about her? But if she was a mermaid, then why didn't she know about me?

Blayke cocked her head and studied me with a raised eyebrow. "Well?" she asked, raising her eyebrow further. "Surprise." She did these jazz hands and waited for me to say something about what I had just seen.

However, I blinked and blinked again before I rubbed my eyes. "What was that?" I asked, and she scoffed and rolled her eyes. I cleared my throat and licked my lips before I cleared my throat again, trying to dislodge the panic that seemed to take residence. "Blayke, seriously. What was that?"

"A tail, dimwit," she said, and I could hear a scowl in her voice that matched the one on her face. "It's called a tail."

"But how? Why?"

She sighed and shook her head before she pursed her lips. "I knew that I shouldn't have shown it to you," she muttered, running a hand through her hair. "I mean, look at you, you are a mess." She groaned and moved a hand across her face before she shook her head. "Now, you're going to tell everyone about this."

I shook my head and cleared my throat again. "I won't," I said because I wasn't going to tell anyone, even Brady, that she had a tail. I licked my lips and shifted on my feet. My whole body was tense, and I wondered if I should tell her about me and the fact that I had a tail as well.

It couldn't hurt, right? I mean, she had a tail as well, and I had a feeling that she was a mermaid.

But what if she isn't a mermaid but something else? But what else had a tail?

Blayke sighed and shook her head. She pursed her lips some more before she stared at me. "Ok," she said finally. She nodded, and I could tell that she came up with a decision to do something. "Sit down for me, please."

I did what she said and sat down, staying silent. I had no idea why she wanted me to sit down, but I did. I knew better than to question her. I knew how hissy she could get when I didn't do something she wanted and wasn't in the mood for an argument.

"Close your eyes." She scoffed and rolled her eyes when all I did was raise an eyebrow and cocked my head. "Seriously, Ty, close them."

I rolled my eyes but did what I was told to do and closed them. I had no idea what she was planning, but I trusted her because she had been my friend for ages.

"Ok, and now listen." She started to sing a song with words, and magic filled it. Her voice was steady while she sang, coaxing me to become enchanted by the song she sang.

However, I wasn't enchanted by the song that she sang. I still had control over my thoughts and my actions. I didn't feel the magic inside, even though I knew that there was. I could feel the magic around me in the air, enchanting anything that was listening, besides me.

All too soon, Blayke finished her song and hopped out of the water, creating this loud splash. She moved to my side and poked me in the shoulder hard enough to rouse me but gentle enough not to leave a bruise. "Ty?" she asked. Her voice was soft and airy, and it still had a twinge of magic in it that didn't affect me. "You can open your eyes now."

I opened my eyes and cocked my head, studying her. Confusion filled my body while I studied her because I had no idea what had happened and why she looked at me like a mother looking at her child. "Yes?" I asked, raising an eyebrow and cocking my head further. "What is it? What was that supposed to do?"

Confusion filled her eyes, chasing away the mother look she possessed beforehand, and she blinked while studied me. "That's not supposed to happen," she said. She moved a hand through her hair and sighed before she muttered a curse to herself. "Do you remember what had happened?" she asked.

I furrowed my brows and cocked my head further. "Yes," I replied. Confusion filled my body, and I studied her because I had no idea what else to do. I paused. "Was I not supposed to?"

"Well, ya," she replied, sounding very confused as to why I didn't forget about what I had just seen. She groaned and walked away from me but didn't leave the cove. "Why didn't this work?" she asked. "It normally works." She turned towards me and placed her hands on her hips before she jutted it out, raising an eyebrow. "Are you even human?" she asked, and I raised an eyebrow in question.

"Why wouldn't I be?" I asked, not telling her that I was, in fact, not a human. "Aren't you?" I asked, even though I knew she wasn't. However, I had no idea what she was, and I didn't want to tell her that I was a mer if she was something that I wasn't allowed to have her know, especially because of my lineage.

She sighed and shook her head, pitying me because I had asked if she was. Annoyance flickered through her eyes, and I could tell that she was annoyed that I didn't answer her question. "No, Ty," she said. She cleared her throat and shifted on her feet.

Blayke looked this way and that, making sure that we were still alone before she looked back at me. She was nervous, I could tell, and I wondered what she thought I would do. "I am not human. I am a-"