chapter 2: Proximity

Zane's POV
I didn't wake up every morning and think about King's big Brown eyes, nor did I think about his immaculate attitude that almost graced the sullen halls of our school as he passed, but this morning I was feeling particularly love struck.

I think it was the fact that Kings best friend was now on my followers list, that added to my optimism for romance this particular Wednesday morning. Ji Yeon had such a nice face, and his insta was interesting. His posts challenged the one dimensional image of him I had in my head. He wasn't a super great conversationalist, but like then again talking to strangers is always kinda odd.

I spent like the entirety of last night looking through his posts, he had like 20, and I felt like they all showed a different side of him, they ranged from a pub photo in Ireland, to him dressed in drag for San Francisco pride. My favorite post by far was him with his family. Ji Yeon and his two older siblings held a young boy bridal style, as their parents stood behind them with wide smiles of their faces.

What stood out in that post was that his family was different than I had expected, his mom and dad both had deep brown skin. While his older sister looked like both of their parents, his older and younger brother had curly brown hair and tan skin. Despite their differences, they all shared the same big bright smile, and you could see their love for each other radiating in their eyes.

"Boo, are you good" my mom asked snapping me out of the stream of consciousness that had taken up 15 minutes of my morning. Her dark curls swayed as she picked up the trash littering my room. "Oh yeah, I'm just a little out of it" I responded as she ruffled my locs.

"Well get into it, school is in an hour, and I know how long you take to get dressed." I kissed my teeth as her words sunk in. I really did take time to get ready.

I always tried to make sure my outfits were meticulously crafted, but this morning I just wasn't feeling it. I opened my wardrobe and threw on classic ripped black jeans, then I got some vans with cartoon boobs on the side, they were made for breast cancer awareness, and I thought the concept and execution of the shoe was cool so here we are. My last article of clothing was a fitted lavender long sleeve top.

I liked Pastels because they literally just looked great on my brown skin, and I they sort of fit my soft personality.

When I went down the stairs Kiko had our keys in one hand, and her school bag in another. She brings a backpack to school even though we have large lockers, literally defeating the purpose of a locker.

Her eyes narrowed to match her look of frustration as she made eye contact with me "Bro if you don't get in the car in T minus 5 minutes I'm about to leave you, I got an attendance to maintain." I laughed as she rushed out the door. I know she doesn't even care about making it to first period on time, we both have Ms.Red, a brunette women in her late 20's who didn't really care when we walked in.

"I call Bullshit, why are you actually rushing to get out of the car" I grinned as I wiggled my eyebrows.

"Some of us just have places to get to." she said bashfully, as she sped out the drive way causing me to hold on to the car handle for dear life. Kiko was never a super cautious person. Especially as kids, she always broke my toys, and literally never had clothes that lasted past two months tops. I figured when we got our car she would be more cautious. I was wrong. She literally always waited till it was on 'e' to fill the tank, and never getting the oil changed. Although my sister was so chaotic all the time, I honest to god loved having a twin. We didn't really share everything with each other, but I felt like I could always come to her for any real advice, and she'd never judge me.

-
As Kiko and I were going to first period, she saw Ji Yeon and gave him a hug hello. I didn't really know if I should greet him yet. Despite my online stalking of him last night, we hadn't actually gotten close enough to be friends, we were hardly acquaintances to be honest.