Chapter 6 - Paved in Gold

No one could quite explain the sensation that swept over the 4. The sensation of the return of something that appeared to be far behind them, like an ancient ghost placing a curse among it's final resting place. The familiar danger only intensified once they realized that this time, maybe, there was no reliable way to protect themselves. The mask wouldn't work since the animatronics here relied on facial recognition, which took to scanning shapes rather than anything else. In the dark, there wasn't a small chance of the mask succeeding. They could hear, yes, but that's all they know now. Unless any of them had a night vision mode that no one knew about, they were completely helpless. Without the lights working, there was no way to know how close anyone was.
      "Okay... Listen... v-very carefully-" Scott's voice was a faint whisper, if it wasn't dead quiet after the screech, no one would've been able to hear. Especially since he refused to move from the wall, paralyzed by his own fear. "w-we might need to slip up and-"
     "Are you fucking joking?" mike hissed quietly.
     "Look, if we all stay in one place our own breathing and moving m-might be enough to alert them." Scott froze, listening again. "So we need to split up and... If you need to cross halls or rooms, stay close to the ground and listen carefully."
     "Isn't there like... A back up power source? H-how'd t-the place run out o-of power-" Jeremy kept his voice down but couldn't stop the shakiness in his voice.
     "Been trying to figure that out..." William said quietly. "Someone must've sabotaged it."
     Scott thought for a moment. "...Just like the cameras-"
     He was interrupted by the sound of a familiar transmission that failed and was cursed to repeat until the object itself decayed followed by something along the ceiling. Everyone fell silent and immediately went to the ground. They had waited patiently, remembering Scott's words and went to crawl through the hallway as quietly as possible. Since mangle normally used the vents, they knew exactly where to go. Having worked there for years, everyone knew the location like the back of their hands.
     Despite the fact that no one wanted to, they all ended up splitting up, not quite knowing exactly where everyone was heading. Scott, however, had no intention of surviving. He already knew that, considering how long he's worked here, he was bound to meet his downfall soon. And so, he went to find out exactly why the power had gone out. However, he had to make it through the parts and service room. And so, he kept himself close to the wall as he made his way through the hall. He then stopped, cupping a hand over his mouth as he listened.
     Clink, clink, clink
     Someone was passing by a little too closely. He squeezed his eyes shut and steadied his breathing, feeling the cold air of passing movement. He felt something brush up against his leg and stiffened, immediately assuming he was about to be killed on the spot. However, a few seconds passed and nothing happened. The sounds faded. He waited and listened a moment before quietly making his way down the hall.
     By the time he made it, he promptly stood and opened the door as quietly as he could manage. He immediately went back to the floor, listening for movement. Despite the current condition of the pizzeria, the broken down husks of the previous location appeared to still be deactivated, much to his relief. He closed the door and waited a bit more for any signs of movement. He clicked on the flashlight and shined it on the animatronics. There was no movement. He then shined the light around the room.
     In the corner farthest from the door was an old standby generator that, despite how rusty it had gotten, worked fairly well. Until now, that is. Scott didn't want to stick around to find out whether or not the animatronics would spring up and try to attack him so he decided to make it quick. He scanned the area for any tools and picked up a screwdriver. He was thankful for once that Fritz never listened when he told him to stop leaving his tools everywhere and immediately went to open the generator to see what was up. What he found troubled him greatly. The inside had been torn up. However, it didn't look like an animatronic did it. Any damage done by an animatronic would be quite wide and brutally displayed. However, the slash marks were thin and the cut wires were straight and precise.
      Scott raised an eyebrow and stood up straight. He then looked at his screwdriver, beginning to wonder if Fritz was the one who did this. After all, it was the only trace he had. Then again, he figured Mr.Smith of all people couldn't have done something like this, he was too gentle with everything he worked on.
      He froze and spun around when he heard a small shuffle. He flicked the light over in that direction only to be met with something that even he wasn't expecting. A vaguely familiar golden suit was standing by the door, its fur decayed and its wires too far gone. It took him a minute to process before his blood ran cold. It was the one remaining spring-lock suit in the entire establishment and he didn't hear any servos or anything of the electronic nature, leading him to immediately conclude that someone was inside. However, he didn't hear the door open, whoever it was has been waiting all night.
      Scott stared for a moment, waiting and listening. He blinked and it was gone. Confused, he glanced around side to side, tears welling up from fear and slight relief. However, he knew better than to relax too soon. He knew better than anyone else that he wasn't safe. He turned on a recorder he always kept with him and took a few steps forwards.
      "H-hello? Hello hello?" He began, testing it. He knew that most of the recording would transfer to the phone immediately, in case something interrupted the transmission. He made sure to keep his voice low "Uh... Well... I went to the parts... a-and service room- something knocked up the old generator- not sure who might've stuck around but uh... I found Fritz's tools by it and-" he coughed quietly. "I might die so I'm leaving this here- There's something in here- Think- Someone got into the old suit- a yellow one- I-"
      He was interrupted by his own startled shriek. As he had turned around, it tackled him to the ground. "No- Not again- I-I refuse!" Immediately he began struggling for his own life. He was reminded of his own experience, remembering how desperate he was to stay alive. He managed to get an arm and leg free, kicking him off and losing his flashlight in the process. Immediately he got up and pointed his gun but didn't shoot. It was too dark. He backed up and listened carefully. However, he couldn't hear much over his own shaky breath. Then, something twisted his arm hard enough for him to accidentally shoot before letting go, loosing feeling in his arm. It grabbed his other arm and bent the other even further, the sound of his own bones and joints cracking.
      "Whats wrong?" The voice sent Scott's mind for a loop. He couldn't recognize it but could tell it wasn't the person's original voice. However, he couldn't tell what would be the original voice either. "I'd say this was a golden opportunity for you!"
      "I-" Scott whined slightly from the pain. "To hell with it!" he kicked him off and immediately went for the secret exit. He unlocked it, tore the door open and shut it, locking it best he could with the key he had. It was cold and rainy at that moment, he could hear thunder rolling in. he threw his back against the door as he heard pounding. The pounding stopped.
      Scott grew tense before he realized what might happen and immediately ran around the pizzeria, hearing the gunshots going through the door. However, he felt a sharp pain in his foot as he moved. He looked down and realized that his foot was drenched in blood. Due to the intense adrenaline, he failed to notice that he shot his own foot. He quickly went to his car and turned it on, only to look at the time.

      5:36 am