ACT ONE

LIKE ALL STORIES, THIS ONE BEGAN ON A DARK AND STORMY NIGHT

LIKE ALL STORIES, THIS ONE BEGAN ON A DARK AND STORMY NIGHT. The wind howled and roared as rain pelted against the stained glass windows. Buried deep within the manor, in the darkest corner of the study, sat one of the oldest creatures in the history of mankind. His lips were pressed into a thin line as he drank away all his troubles.

The vampire would never admit it, but he was lonely. For centuries, his siblings had always been by his side. Even when he had daggered some of them, there had always been one there for him. Now there were none.

They were all daggered and locked far away in the dark basement of the manor. His pride and anger were the only things stopping him from undaggering them all at once. 

The sound of crying reached the vampire's ears as he took another swing of alcohol. Irritated at being interrupted, he slammed the glass down and sped to the front of the house. When he swung the door open, however, he was momentarily surprised to find a baby wrapped in a blanket on his doorstep. 

He took another step outside and around the baby as he looked around and listened for any sound of someone running but couldn't see or hear anything. The baby could've been there all night for all he knew and whoever had left them there was long gone.

Letting out an irritated sigh, he turned his attention back to the baby and found his face softening at the sight of her doe, brown eyes staring back at him as she slowly ceased her crying.

"Now what are you doing out here all alone, little one?" Klaus questioned although he knew the baby couldn't answer as he swept the baby into his arms. The baby responded with a soft gurgle as she smiled up at the vampire, who found himself easily reciprocating the gesture. It took him a few more moments to drag his eyes away from the baby and read the words Angel Knight sewed into the small blanket wrapped around her.

"Angel, huh?" Klaus chuckled as the newborn reached her hands up and swatted harmlessly at his face. "I think we'll get along just fine, you and I."