Chapter 2

(Parts of this chapter are darker and more violent than in the first one. It's not very bad, I just want to make sure I don't bother anyone. You can skip certain parts if you want to. They'll be marked so they don't affect the story much.)

Link groaned, his head's merciless pounding blocking all coherent thoughts from forming, leaving him with barely enough energy to open his eyes. The room's dim lighting forced him to squint at his surroundings. Rough, rocky walls surrounded Link on three sides, sturdy metal bars enclosing him on the fourth. A quick glance down revealed short chains winding painfully around his wrists and ankles, restraining him from moving properly. His weapons and Sheikah Slate were nowhere in sight.

There were two guards posted outside his cell, one of which turned towards him before muttering something to the other Yiga and teleporting away.

Seconds later, he reappeared with a larger man. Both soldiers bowed, speaking in unison. "Master Kage."

The man didn't spare them a second, waving them off with a shake of his hand, striding right past them. "Leave us."

Propped against the wall, Link glared as he strolled in. Kage held a brown bag, but it was bulging randomly, buzzing with life, softly glowing light pink. Fairies. Why does he have fairies?

Much in contrast to Kohga, the new leader was tall and muscular, serious and straightforward, and likely much younger as well, though his mask hid his face. Something told Link that he'd be a much tougher opponent than Kohga ever was.

"So, you're the boy that caused Master Kohga so much trouble? You seem pathetic to me." The warrior sneered from under his mask. "I mean, look how small you are."

Link was used to remarks about his size, or rather, his lack of it, but coming from his kidnapper, the comment infuriated him. It was his classic sense of recklessness that drove him to glare resentfully in return, fully aware that a single wrong move would end his life. He couldn't resist rolling his eyes in reply.

Kage merely chuckled, ignoring Link as he continued talking, voice full of arrogance. "Master Kohga was an old fool. I've accomplished more in the time since his death than he did in his lifetime. I'm going to bring our clan to it's true potential."

His expression hardened as he drew his sword in a smooth, steady motion, leveling the tip with Link's neck. The tip pricked his skin, a drop of blood trickling downward, yet Link could scarcely notice. All his focus was directed towards staying calm, avoiding his own pressing worries about the fate of Zelda, of Hyrule, of his own fate. Link had to fight for a simple blank stare.

"Nevertheless, he was powerful and respected, with immense knowledge of the ancient techniques. He was our master, and his life will be avenged- for the honor of the Yiga." He clenched his teeth, frustrated by Link's lack of expression. Sensing his enemy's anger, Link raised an eyebrow in an attempt to look bored, hoping to provoke him further. Okay, and?

"Do you know what happened to the stable you were staying at?" Kage asked, wishing for a form of acknowledgement from the young knight, for any sign of terror or despair, even curiosity. But once again, all he got was a blank stare in return, even as Link's stomach knotted with apprehension. Link hadn't considered that the Yiga might have continued to attack the stable after he went down. Of course, they had been roaming Hyrule long before he awoke from his hundred year sleep, but the intensity of their attacks had increased ever since the shift in the clan's leadership. The answer sent shivers down his spine, a cold, emotionless voice setting his fears in stone.

"They burned it."

Kage laughed in triumph as he watched dread flood Link's eyes, knowing he'd finally conquered the boy. "I doubt anyone survived."