Sign My Cast? - Bandtrees

"D-do you want to sign my cast?" The words were out of Evan's mouth before he could stop them. Zoe turned around.
"Did you say something?"

Evan froze. "Um, d-did you want to sign my cast? I-I mean you don't have to or anything I'm not going to force you to I shouldn't have said anything I'm sorry I should go–" he quickly said, but Zoe had stepped forward.

"It's okay, I can sign it, but on one condition," Zoe told him.

Evan froze. This could be either very bad or very good. "W-what?"

"You stop being sorry about every all the time," she told him.

"Yeah!" Evan said way too loudly, then, "I-I mean, o-okay, y-yeah, s–" he stopped himself from apologizing once more. Zoe had noticed his near slip-up, though, and she smiled. He had made her smile. Wow.

As Zoe walked back up to him, Evan bent down to get his sharpie from his backpack, but before he could even open his bag, Zoe was holding one of her own pens, looking down at him. As Evan stood back up, he bit his lip to stop himself from apologizing like he knew he was about to do.

There was an awkward moment as the two tried to figure out what angle Zoe should write at and all, but they quickly managed to figure it out and after ten or twenty seconds Zoe let go of his arm and recapped her purple pen.

"Well, see you around?" Zoe said. Evan wasn't sure if it was a question or a statement, but he nodded in reply. Zoe walked off to her lunch table, and Evan picked up his bag and went to sit at his own table.

Once he sat down, he placed his lunch on the table, but didn't eat it. Instead, he studied Zoe's signature on his cast. It was a royal purple colour, and even though it was only three letters, Evan thought the handwriting was absolutely beautiful. Beside her name, Zoe had drawn a star. It was just one of those quick stars that everyone had been obsessed with drawing in second grade, but Evan smiled at it. Zoe always drew them on the cuffs of her jeans, and even though it sounded creepy and stalker-y, he liked to see them. Just from a distance, in the hallway, or whatever. Something about it made him calm down sometimes.

Maybe this year, because of this cast, they could get closer. Zoe did seem to want to talk to him again. Maybe this cast wasn't going to end up being something horrible. Maybe this year was going to be an amazing year.