Chapter 3

Niamh watched as several streaks of gray zipped past her underwater. The eddy currents they left behind nudged her legs as she tread water. A few seals breached the surface, sucking in a quick breath before continuing their flight from the giant predators. 

“You must get out of the water,” said the hunter, the urgency in his voice apparent.

Niamh turned back to face the hunter, using her free hand to push back several strands of hair plastered to her face. “I thought orcas were friendly with humans.”

“The blackfish are indifferent to us,” said the man, “but they do not hunt with their eyes. They hunt with their nose and their ears. In this sea, full of seal blood, you are a large wounded sea lion to them.”

Niamh gasped as the first of the orca announced its arrival. Several drops of water fell on and around her after it cleared its blowhole. Panic tightened her chest as she turned to look. Its massive black dorsal fin glided past just meters away, then disappeared beneath the surface. 

“Quickly!” shouted the hunter. “Take my hand, climb onto your kayak.”

Scissoring her athletic legs hard, Niamh took hold of the hunter’s large, strong hand and lunged out of the water. She managed to get part way up, but the kayak rolled underneath her weight and she fell back. 

“Again!” he shouted. “Harder!” As he leaned toward her she saw the mix of fear and concentration in his chestnut brown eyes. 

This time as Niamh launched herself out of the water, they locked forearms. She felt the iron strength of his will as he hauled her onto the upturned belly of her boat. Pulling her arms back, Niamh wriggled around on top of her kayak trying to find a stable position. The growing swells threatened to tip her off as the kayak pitched and rolled in the water. The hunter gave a sharp yell in his native tongue and motioned for one of the canoes to come pick her up. They ignored him, already paddling hard to chase the seals. Exasperated, the hunter grabbed hold of the rudder on Niamh’s kayak and tried to paddle toward shore. 

Cold drops of rain began to fall from the sky as the storm whipped its way across the bay. Niamh’s grip on the hull of her kayak became fragile in the rain. The swells continued to grow, making it more and more difficult to stay out of the water. As she crested a smaller wave, another member of the pod raised its head out of the water, its brilliant white teeth on display. Her nerves already taut, Niamh flinched at the sudden appearance of the giant creature. It was just enough. The kayak rolled as Niamh shifted her weight and she slipped. As she slid feet first between the two kayaks, the hunter lunged to try and keep her from going under but it happened too fast. 

Niamh flailed and kicked powerfully to stop her descent. Halting her dive just a meter or two below the surface, Niamh opened her eyes. In front of her, close enough to touch, was a somewhat smaller orca. Possibly the calf of the mother above. Raising her arms overhead, Niamh kicked her legs and clawed for the surface. Her fingertips brushed past those of the hunter only to be pulled away again when the orca’s jaws closed on her thigh. Water rushed in as the last of her scream escaped Niamh’s throat.