Part 6: LET ME GO OR CHAIN ME IN YOUR DUNGEON

PART 6

Geralt opened his eyes with a groan. He feared he would be chained in a dark dungeon again, but was relieved to discover he was lying on the bed of his chamber.

"Here, drink this. It will help with the pain," said Paul, sitting on a chair by the bed side.

Geralt propped himself up on an elbow and took the cup of tea that Paul was offering him.

"What happened?" asked the witcher.

"You strained yourself too much. You passed out," explained Paul.

"No, that's not what happened," said Geralt.

"I'm sorry," apologized Paul, averting his eyes.

"Did you know that the sword was an illusion?"

"Yes," admitted Paul.

"That's why you could convince the guard so easily," realized Geralt.

"I'm sorry," apologized Paul again. "The sword made you very happy. I didn't think there would be any harm... You weren't really going to use it anyway and I thought..." he trailed off.

"Is everything an illusion?"

"Everything?"

"Yes, the gardens, the palace, the surrounding mountains, the unending forest... Is any of that real?" wanted to know the witcher.

Paul opened his mouth to answer but was interrupted by Laurel who appeared by the door.

"Leave us, Paul," she ordered him coldly.

"Yes, lady Laurel," he bowed, making himself scarce.

"Have you come to torture me into compliance?" asked Geralt, narrowing his yellow eyes with unconcealed anger.

"What happened yesterday was unfortunate," she started.

"Yesterday? How long have I slept?" frowned Geralt.

"Enough to fully recover from my spell, I hope. Are you OK?"

He didn't answer.

"I didn't want things to go this way, Geralt. I hoped you would learn to like this place, I hoped you would learn to like... me. I was mistaken. She couldn't retain you either, could she, Yennefer?"

Geralt looked at her with fire in his eyes.

"I advise you to either let me go or chain me in your dungeon, because I'm leaving this place right away, and nothing short of a chain will stop me," he hissed through clenched teeth.

"You are leaving, yes," she agreed, "with a real sword and a clear mission."

"No mission," he shook his head. "I'm done with your mysterious mission."

"All right. I only ask you to hear me out and then you can make your choice. Either if you choose to pursue the task or not, you are free to go."

Geralt narrowed his eyes with profound distrust.

"I'm listening," he said coldly.

"There's a sorceress friend, she is in trouble, retained against her will. For reasons I will not explain to you, I cant't intervene directly. Neither can I seek the help of the Brotherhood because she is out of their favour and their participation in the rescue would only make matters worse."

"Why me? Why go to all the trouble to find me at the end of the world to recruit me for this?" asked Geralt.

"Because you are the only one she will trust to take her out of there."

"So, she knows me," deduced the witcher.

"Yes."

"Who is she?"

"Geralt..." she pressed her lips together, reluctant to answer.

"Who is it? Is it Yennefer? Answer me!" he demanded.

"No," Laurel averted her eyes, unsure about how the witcher would react to her next revelation: "her name is Visenna."

"Visenna!" cried the witcher. That was the last name he had expected. "What makes you think I will accept to help her?"

"I know how you are related to her," answered the sorceress, studying Geralt's face.

"Then you know I want nothing to do with her," he growled in anger, "and she has abundantly shown that she wants nothing to do with me either," he added.

"And yet, I know you would like to find her," argued Laurel.

"What for?"

"Because you want some answers from her, don't you?"

The witcher remained silent.

"I will get you through a portal to Talgar, in the Dragon Mountains in Kovir. She is in that area. I couldn't pinpoint the exact location, but I have no doubt you will be able to find her. Once you do, I need you to bring her here, where she will be safe. I will give you instructions on how to come back here," she explained.

"I didn't say I accepted your mission," retorted the witcher.

"As I said, I will provide you with real swords and a good horse," she went on. "Once in Talgar, you can choose your path. Whatever you do, I will respect your decision."

"Mhm," answered Geralt noncommittaly.