One thing led to another

Kuzon had a weird philosophy.

He always reminded you that you were special, he wouldn't let you forget that. However, when you were out, special was the one thing you had to avoid being. Just another privileged little girl in the upper ring of Ba Sing Se, going to school and ignoring the war that hasn't been going on for 100 years outside the walled city.

Life was fun! You practiced your firebending often but always low-key. You had a special room where Kuzon showed you how to firebend and talked to you about everything he did with Avatar Aang when he was around. He said he'd come back, and that when he did, he was gonna take him on all the crazy adventures they weren't able to go on before Aang disappeared and Kuzon left the fire nation.

Well...he was right about one of those things.

Your grandfather's death hit you hard, and it showed in your bending. Your flames were stronger, hotter if that was even possible, you caught yourself trying to burn yourself to see if it neutralized the pain.

Your parents left you alone for the most part, they never had that much of a relationship with you. That might be one of the reasons they didn't notice you packing up and leaving the estate in the middle of the day. You didn't take money, you didn't want to give them a reason to look for you.

Ba Sing Se was big. Bigger than you were able to perceive from your house. The monorail ride was beautiful, you couldn't believe after living your entire life in the city, you'd never gotten on it.

You got off at the Agrarian zone, near Lake Laogai. There was a group of people there, they didn't notice you. You got an unusual urge to meditate...that was new. You felt like an air nomad. You had heard about Avatar Aang's arrival in the city. Talk about bad timing.

You looked at your reflection in the surface of the river. You looked like shit. You started fixing your (h/l) (h/c) hair, and you started wondering what you would look like if you were an air monk, with your hairline shaved back and a blue arrow tattooed on your forehead...such a look.

You were so entertained looking at yourself that you didn't notice the first few rumbles coming from under the water. You thought Lake Laogai didn't have any fish...it was probably normal.

*rumble*

Ok, that definitely wasn't normal. You felt the ground beneath you shake, and a faint green light was emanating from the lake. What in the name of Shu was going on?! Is this what Ba Sing Se is like outside the upper ring? I mean...not that you would know, but one would assume that mini-earthquakes every five minutes and a shining lake would be something to worry about.

You got up and looked around. The people you had seen when you got there were still standing where you first saw them, far enough away from you to not notice you, but you bet your eyes you noticed when they got into a hole in the ground and disappeared into the lake.

Maybe you should've checked the expiration date on those fire flakes.

Thinking of it now, you could've left! Absolutely nothing was forcing you to go check, you could've left, WHY DIDN'T YOU LEAVE?!

Walking towards the place where you just saw a large group of people disappear into the ground most likely sounds dumb when you hear it like that, but in your head, that was the only reasonable choice. And so you went...AND YOU ALMOST GAVE YOURSELF A HEART ATTACK WHEN YOU SAW THAT HUGE HOLE IN THE GROUND WITH STAIRS LEADING DOWN INTO SOME SORT OF BUNKER! Were the fire-flakes spiked?

The entrance was open. You thought it would remain that way, and so you didn't think twice before going in and climbing down the stairs. In your head going inside and checking around without anyone noticing you sounded like a fool-proof plan, and so, of course, you almost screamed when the entrance closed up.

You panicked.

That's the problem with you, you panic and then you don't think things through and so you make impulsive decisions and your mind fills up with thoughts that block everyth-

"AANG!"

...well fuck.

---

Greetings rats! Thank you for having your two sexy little eyes read this and I'm sorry I'm leaving it at such a cliffhanger, but I have kind of an idea of what I want to do with this and I'll try to get part 3 up by monday.

Thank you @Goldenfoxx for the support on part 1! And to everyone for the mere fact of reading, it really does fill me with jittery jitters and happiness and thank you for that (030)

We'll see how this very mediocre story comes out, until then. 

Over and out, AJ.