Another Day

Jeongin awoke to the familiar sound of gunshots ringing through his ears, a single ray of sun landing on his eyes. He slowly opened his eyes and pushed himself up off of the dirty old mattress on the floor. His stomach growled fiercely. It had been 6 months since he had eaten a proper meal.

He walked over to the small, beat up table and pulled the last slice of slightly mouldy bread from a bag. He sat back down onto the bare concrete floor and began picking the mould off of his only food. After finishing his last bite he walked over to the small rectangular window that sat high above his head. Pulling the curtain he jumped to try and take a peak. The street seemed to be okay at the moment.

He walked over and slid on his old torn shoes and rustled around in his pockets.
"Shit!" He muttered as realised there was no change in his pocket. He began searching the room for any money there was but he came up empty. He sighed and looked back at the table knowing what he had to do. He opened the door and walked through a long corridor filled with pipes until he reached a tall set of iron stairs. Once at the top he fumbled for the small key in his pocket, the one that unlocked the large door in front of him. His arms got shaky as he turned the key in the lock and opened the door. The sun blasted into his eyes and the cold chill of a February morning hit him like a brick. He shivered as he began walking down the road.
His footsteps were fast and his breaths were shallow and he continually looked over his shoulder. A gun shot roared from his left. He picked up his pace into a light jog not wanting to be caught up in something bad.

Once he had arrived at his destination, a small run down shop on the corner of his street, he paused a moment to catch his breath. He really didn't want to do this. He pulled the top of his ripped up turtleneck up around his mouth and nose and entered the shop. Luckily for him the shop assistant must of been out the back because he was the only one in the front of the store. He picked up a basket and filled it with anything he could fit into it. Bread, soup, fruit, biscuits and cooked meats filled the basket. He glanced back at the counter before turning to the door and running out of it. He ran full speed back to the door he had not long come out of. He took a quick glance up at the building that topped the basement he lived in. It was once a law firm, owned by his father. Now it sat abandoned, the glass in the windows smashed and the outer walls covered in spray paint. A tear came to his eye as he darted into the door locking it quickly behind him. He made his way back past the pipes and into the dimly lit room he called home. As he collapsed onto his mattress tears began falling from his eyes. His parents would be so ashamed of what he had become. He pulled an apple from the basket and bit into it as the tears continued falling. He missed his family, his old life. He missed having friends and going out. Now every day was a struggle to get by. The city he once loved was just a violent wasteland that even the police had given up on.