𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐝.

DRACO FELT MINIMAL surprise when Hermione dropped the bombshell. Behind her and Ron's 'flirting like an old married couple' act, she always seemed a bit miffed by his behavior. They were like two of the same poles of a magnet fighting to attract but ultimately always being pushed apart. It was quite obvious, because they'd always be arguing over something. "Why didn't you break up with him back then?" Draco asked, trying to sound more amiable, so as to avoid hurting her feelings.

"Because I don't want to hurt him, and I can't lose him and Harry and Ginny and all of them," Hermione exclaimed, hot tears flooding down her face. "I can't leave him because that means I lose everyone who loves me. I've lost my parents and now I'm losing myself." Her sentence trailed off in a stifled sob in futile attempt not to disturb the others in the library. Thankfully it was, for the most part, a very desolate location and the librarian was basically deaf.

A little voice deep inside Draco told him to embrace the weeping girl, but he denied it, instead decoding to soothe her with words. Or at least try. "They wouldn't leave you because of that," he assured her, hoping that their bonds were as strong as he anticipated. "Harry and Ginny are your friends. They couldn't just resent you for leaving Ron. And he'll understand too, if he truly loves you then he'll want you to be happy." His words had a truthful impact, one that pulled Hermione's head out of the murky waters of distortion.

"Thank you," she said meekly. "It means a lot to hear that. But I don't know where I'd go. Harry and Ginny are moving in literally at this moment, and staying with Ron would hurt too much."

Without thinking, Draco replied. "Come stay with me then. I have a spare bedroom." Immediately after the words fell out of his mouth he felt that he had overstepped. "I mean, if you really need a place to stay."

Hermione smiled slightly. It was a kind offer. "I'll think about it. Though I'll probably have to accept, if I can bring myself to break up with him."

"If you really don't love him then you should, Hermione," retorted the blond.

But she already knew this. She also knew that she had to, because to stay with Ron now would hurt him even more in the end. So instead of responding, she just asked, "Whatever happened to Granger?"

"I suppose that formality died with the resentment," Draco replied with a smile.

Nearly swooning, Hermione had to remind herself that he simply had a flirtatious personality, and that this behavior was just his way of being friendly. "Well, I suppose I ought to get going, since this'll... require preparation."

"Let me know how it goes," Draco said as he stood up. "And if you need somewhere to stay, you know where to find me."

"Thank you," Hermione said as she made her way out of the library. "See you again, I guess." She pushed open the door, the bell chain jangling as she walked out. Draco watched until her silhouette was out of the window's view.

As she walked home, Hermione wondered if she truly could leave the man who she had been with for three years. Something inside told her that she could trust Draco, but could she trust herself to say the right thing and spare Ron some of the pain? She rubbed her red eyes and tried to dry her damp cheeks.

Walking step by painful step, Hermione reminded herself constantly that she needed to stick up for how she felt. Draco's validation of her emotions could be the boost she needed to break up with Ron. Though it would also require immense bravery, Hermione was a Gryffindor for a reason. She could do it if she really wanted to.