27- Of Picnics And Superpowers

We were all having such an amazing time. Everyone was having so much fun with the kids. Even Aidan and my cousins, who were usually always inhospitable and intimidating were warm, friendly and nice to the children.

They happily showed the kids their costumes, made them try their masks on, gave them high fives, let them sit on their laps when the Princess read the children a book in the library then lifted them up the monkey bars, pushed them on the swings, and helped them down the slides when they played in the playground. I did the same of course. It was the most joyful and carefree experience of my life so far.

What made it more amazing for all of us was seeing Princess Maiena in such high spirits. She laughed heartily and smiled constantly. We all literally stopped everything we were doing when she gleefully chortled within the first five minutes we were in the school over my brother's little mishap with the glove of his suit that kept falling off. It was the first time we heard her contagious laughter in over a month. Even the infuriated Aidan, who was so irritated with his costume that he almost threw the darned glove away, stopped and smiled.

For brunch, the teachers prepared a picnic by the pond under the shade of a big oak tree.

The way to the pond was a little slopy and although Princess Maeina gracefully kept her composure, it was clear that she struggled to walk on the grass with her heels. Aidan and I, who walked beside her on either side, each offered a hand for her to hold for support. She looked at Aidan first but eventually laid her hand on my palm. I thought I heard my brother mumble something irately but before I could ask him about it, Princess Maiena started talking to me about her plans to have an Arts and Crafts room built for the Kindergarten.

When we got to the picnic site, I escorted her to the small portable table that was intended for her and the school administrators while the children were seated on mats around them. Aidan reached for the chair meant for her and pulled it out for her. She was about to let go of my hand when she looked at her place at the table then swept her eyes around the picnic mats and the children. She made a sudden decision. She turned to me and smiled, "I want to sit with the kids."

I smiled back at her and nodded. I expected her to say that. Seeing my brother's frown, I knew he didn't approve of the last-minute change but since he didn't say anything about it, the Princess's decision stood.

The teachers hurriedly cleared a place for her in the nearest mat and I lead her to it. I held her hand tightly as she lowered herself to the ground. While she was doing so, she lost her balance and almost fell to the ground with me.

"Whoopsidaisies!" I heard Aidan say as he quickly snatched Her Highness's hand from me and caught her. With his arm around her waist and his other hand grasping hers, he fell on the grass and cushioned the Princess's fall with his body.

Three things amazed me about what happened in the last three seconds-- one: Aidan's faster-than-lightning reflexes when it comes to rescuing Princess Maiena, two: how he managed to position the Princess safely seated across his lap while he held her head securedly to his chest like a baby in a blink of an eye and three: when he said "whoopsidaisies". Where did he even learn that word?

In her fear, the Princess shut her eyes tightly probably expecting the fall that didn't happen thanks to Aidan's superheroic save. I would say it was the suit but really it wasn't. He has always been her constant and inevitable Knight in shining armour, Iron Man suit or not.

The kids teasingly joshed and giddily giggled at the scene. One very naughty little boy even chanted "The Princess and Iron Man sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G."

The kid's teacher kindly rebuked the boy while Princess Maeina and my brother blushed profusely. Her Highness quickly regained her composure and gracefully slipped away from Aidan's lap who helped her sit on the mat. He stayed where he was as I took a seat on the other side of the Princess.

"How dare you!" She angrily mumbled under her breath so only Aidan could hear her.

Hey! It's not my fault that I have heightened hearing because I can't speak.

"What? Save you?" My brother snarled back.

"You didn't have to do it so rashly."

"You're safe and you didn't get hurt. You should be thanking me, Your Highness."

That only irritated her more. "Don't tell me what to do." She hissed.

"Don't tell me how to do my job." He whispered irately.

I knew then that it was time to intervene before they bit each other's head off. I patted the mat in front of us to get their attention. They both looked at me.

I shook my head disapprovingly and signed, "Children... Behave." I frowned.

They both nodded and mumbled their apologies while I struggled to keep a straight face to stop from grinning.

***

After we have eaten, the music teacher played songs on a guitar and the children sang with him.

The Princess watched them with a contented smile on her face. Nothing could ruin the day for her.

I wished.

But...

All of a sudden, our cousin Lionell hastily knelt before the Princess. "Pardon me, Your Highness, but we have to return to the palace quickly. It's the King. He..."

Before Lionell could finish that sentence, the Princess got up. As if on instinct, she immediately turned to Aidan who quietly nodded. Without hesitation, he grabbed her hand and ran with her to the closest car.

***