the boy in the TAS shirt

Samuel Franklin Elliot Partin was just a philosophy and anime loving boy from Etobicoke, fresh out of that god damned Catholic high school. Finally, not only would he get to explore fun Japanese activities such as Kendo, but he'll also get to join an anime club that had funding and recognition. Bid farewell to the days in which he was constantly left out of the yearbook.

He was ready to take on university like a dog takes on crumbs that fall on the floor. Eagerly. 

Sam never thought that it would be like this. He sat in his anime poster riddled childhood bedroom in his gamer chair, his computer screen lighting up with the digitized images of his college friends. Just two weeks ago, he was forced to move out of his residence because of the COVID-19 pandemic. As his friends' voices filled his headphones with conversations about masked grocery runs and deliberations on whether or not to get tinder accounts, Sam began to reflect on his past year. 

Even with all the chatter hitting his eardrums, he still felt lonely. There was one person that he wanted the most, but he was miles and miles away– physically and emotionally. Sam knew that he shouldn't feel this way anymore. Everyone told him, "Sam, he's awful. He doesn't love you. He's just using you, this is all just a game of rugby to him." But Sam just couldn't help it. He was so perfect, in the simplest of ways. With his closet filled with U of T Varsity Blues and TAS shirts, and drawers filled with sunscreen bottles gone untouched. No one could compare. Even with proper goodbyes and see-you-laters, there was a Bryan Lin shaped cavity left in Sam's heart.

But now there was nothing left for him to do. Bryan had left Sam changed, never to return to what he was again. Sam had gone through a metamorphosis. All he could do was to keep all that had happened in his heart. Despite knowing that nothing would ever be the same again and that he'd eventually find the courage to move on, he still kept the TAS-shirt-wearing-boy in his heart.