Chapter 3: The Hunt's Beginning

"People don't go insane together. That makes no sense. Please, I'm very curious about this. Plus, it gives me an excuse to go to the woods."

"Yeah, it's good for you, But I personally.. Just.." Sonic sighed as he shook his head. "No, no. Fine. We'll go out." Sonic turned to the fox as he put down the book. "Well, thinking about it, there's multiple things to figure out. Should we go look for this thing first? We still don't know about that headache and message, nor about that island."

"Wherever we go, we're solving a part of the puzzle, right? Uh, and maybe you're right. We'll try to figure out a way to that island." Tails pointed out of the window to the island on the sea. Sonic nodded as he stood up, turning to the door.

"Let's go figure this thing out!" Sonic spoke, as he ran out of the door of his apartment.
•|——————•——————|•

Sonic, Tails and a few observers examined the island at the coast as closely as they could without trying to get in. Tails thought for a moment. "Uhm. This is going to be a long shot, but do you happen to have a plane or helicopter?" The fox asked.

Sonic then thought. "Uh... No but yes. I did have one, but it's all the way in the rural lands and that's past the woods.. and Starlight.. where the first emerald probably is. Either we take the safest route and miss the emerald.. or.."

"Probably get ourselves really really hurt trying," Tails finished. He looked to Sonic with a bit of contemplation. "Well, with your speed, who knows? Maybe no one will even catch you taking it."

"Maybe you're right~ but.. I mean... Hmm." Sonic looked back to the island. "Maybe if we get the emerald we don't need a plane to get in there. It boosts power by itself, right?"

"Yeah," Tails spoke, looking over to the woods. "Alright. Is it decided, then?" He asked the hedgehog.

"Yep-" he spoke, taking the fox's hand and getting into a jog before rapidly speeding up.

A few blocks passed in the blink of an eye, the city a lot less crowded than it was before. The concrete and pavement became dirt and gravel. Sonic decided to slowly stop, as to not throw the fox, as they got to the place they were headed.

"Maybe consider... Not using my arm.. you're pulling it," the fox spoke, rubbing the arm Sonic had grabbed.

"O-oh. Sorry. It's just habit, I g-"

"You'd probably kill someone like that. Or at least improperly amputate their arm."

"No- I made sure that I wasn't going that fast-"

"Wait. How fast do you go?"

"Speed o' sound. I'm really good at keeping my ground, and most of the time it'll look like I'm teleporting. But in the air.. well, I'm just gonna say I don't know how people function like that."

"Why are you talking about combative style?"

"Because, look how many people are here."

The place was absolutely crowded, with people clamoring and shoving each other to get to what seemed like in the direction of the emerald. Sonic looked around. Lots of trees, obviously. "Hmm.. Tails? I think this time you're gonna have to hop onto my back.." Sonic suggested with a sigh.

Tails had a lot of hesitance before finally holding on tight. "Make this quick, make this not embarrassing, and just get us to that emerald.."

Sonic squatted before jumping with quite the high velocity to the logs of the trees. From here he seemed to do a wall jump maneuver against them, using the force of the jump to hold his own onto the wall for enough time to get to the other one.