93 - The Last Horcrux

He had done it.

Harry Potter had gotten himself killed.

And now it was up to me to finish the job.

"Daughter, tell me whether he is dead."

Of course he was dead, I thought, as I stumbled across the clearing towards where the lifeless body lay. I just watched my father shoot him down with the Killing Curse.

As I neared, I noticed Harry's glasses were askew and his green eyes stared lifelessly at nothing. I'd seen enough corpses eyes over the past year to know when they belonged to the dead.

Still, though - I knelt down by his body, placing a hand upon his neck. I shivered as I noticed I was still covered in my uncle's blood.

It was no surprise to me when I couldn't find a pulse. No surprise when not a single breath left his body.

This boy was definitely dead.

I felt a great sadness wash over me. This will be me soon. And as much as I hadn't gotten on with Harry, I appreciated right then just how brave he had actually been.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, as I gently removed his glasses from his face.

My heart stopped.

I could have sworn I had just seen something flicker in his eyes. My pulse starting to accelerate, I placed my hand back on his neck. Still nothing.

I stared into his green eyes once more and they flickered again, and this time life remained inside of them as I heard a gentle sound like a sigh leave his lips. He was breathing.

My heart hammering now, I leant my head right down to his ear under the pretence of giving him a thorough check. "Harry?" I breathed, barely even a whisper.

"I came back," was all he whispered.

I could scarcely believe it. I shakily lifted my hand to his eyes, as if I was closing his lids. When I moved my hand away, they were closed.

I stood up, turning to my father, carefully remembering to close my mind. "He's dead."

...

Draco clasped Astrid to him as soon as she rejoined them. His heart was beating frantically, knowing that the end was near. Potter had done his part.

He was terrified of death. He didn't think he could show the kind of bravery that Potter just exhibited. Though he loathed to admit it, even to himself.

Astrid looked up at him, sharing a look of trepidation as everyone cheered around them. There was something in her eyes that caused him to think she was trying to communicate something to him, but he couldn't tell what.

Draco, Astrid, Narcissa and Lucius were the only ones not joining in with the celebrations. Draco glanced up and saw Death Eaters skipping and dancing for joy around dead Potter. He shuddered at the sight of Bellatrix doing a little jig before an amused Voldemort, before jumping into his arms, kissing the space where his nose should have been.

Draco felt numb, nothing felt real to him anymore, it was as though he was trapped in some kind of nightmare, and as the sun started to rise above them, he realised he couldn't remember the last time he had slept.

He noticed that Astrid was staring intently at Potter's body which was being kicked around by various Death Eaters, all pointing and laughing at the pathetic crumpled mess of a seventeen year old boy whose life was no more.

"Don't watch," Draco murmured gently in her ear, pulling her into his chest and wrapping his arms lovingly around her, trying to shield her from the disrespectful sight.

"He came back," he heard her whisper. At least, that is what he thought she had said.

"What?" Draco asked, looking down questioningly at her.

But before she could repeat herself, they were interrupted by Voldemort's booming voice.

"Now, we go to the castle, and show them what has become of their hero. Who shall drag the body? No - Wait -"

He pointed over to where the giants stood and Draco realised that amongst them, was Hagrid, shackled in chains and sobbing quietly into his hands.

"You carry him," Voldemort continued. "He will be nice and visible in your arms, will he not? Pick up your little friend, Hagrid."

Hagrid started to stagger forward, his anguished sobs echoing all around them.

"Daughter," Voldemort added, spinning around to face Astrid, "you walk with me. Together we shall approach the castle as father and daughter. A family victory!"

Draco felt panicked at not having Astrid by his side. He felt her give his hand a gentle squeeze before she stepped away from him and walked towards her father, who now had Nagini wrapped possessively around his shoulders.

His mother touched his arm in a way that suggested she understood his anguish.

Slowly, they walked behind a sobbing Hagrid, with Voldemort and Astrid leading the procession. Draco couldn't tear his eyes away from her, wondering when she was going to strike. He was terrified he wouldn't get to say goodbye. But they were running out of time. He had no idea how soon Voldemort planned on making her 'queen', but it was essential they destroy him as soon as possible.

"Harry Potter is dead." Voldemort spoke, his voice magically magnified so that it swelled through the grounds. "He was killed as he ran away, trying to save himself while you lay down your lives for him. We bring you his body as proof that your hero is gone."

Draco could see people filing out of the castle up ahead, their screams becoming more heightened and more terrible the closer they approached; Harry evidently dead in Hagrid's arms.

He kept his face on Astrid's back, trying not to look at the castles's occupants, ashamed to be stood where he was.

"Who will join me and my daughter to make the world a better place?" Voldemort asked, wrapping an arm around Astrid's shoulders. Draco saw her flinch slightly as the snake hissed in her ear.

Someone staggered forward and Draco couldn't help but allow his eyes to dart up.

It was Longbottom.

"Well, I must say, I'd hoped for better." Voldemort smirked amusedly, causing a few chortles of laughter from various Death Eaters.

"I'll join you when hell freezes over!" Longbottom bellowed. "Dumbledore's Army!"

Shit, thought Draco, as this declaration was greeted with loud cheers. Longbottom was just asking to get himself killed.

And sure enough, Voldemort's reaction was to summon the Sorting Hat and magically force it over Longbottom's head where it then burst into flames.

Screams filled the air in an instant as Longbottom struggled to pull the hat off of his head, and everyone went crazy, running about, as magical creatures started coming from all directions.

With everyone distracted by the chaos, Draco seized the opportunity to run to Astrid, grabbing her arm from behind and pulling her fiercely into his arms.

She gave a startled cry but quickly fell into his embrace upon realising it was him.

"Draco!" She gasped, looking up at him fearfully. "We've got to kill the snake! It's time!"

But as soon as she said that, Longbottom had finally managed to remove the hat and somehow procured a sword. He used it to swiftly chop off Nagini's head.

Draco watched in horror as the head span high in the air and landed with a great thud right next to them.

His eyes met Astrid's, and he swallowed as a terrified, knowing look passed between them.

She was the last Horcrux left.