Chapter 1

New York City
the UN center
September 11th, 2001
8:45 am

'Thud!' That was the first sound that was heard amongst the trill of voices in the main conference room as the speaker of the house, Liberty Jones-Beilschmidt, was presented by the human bailiff. He knew that he should've heeded her warnings, he should have paid more attention. The sounds of gasps echoed the room and then the shouting of one name that was echoed by each respective country.

"LIBERTY!!!!"

He was the first to be at her side, her brother would've been at her side as well, but only a minute later, he too fell to the ground in agony. This caused the collective panic of the Canadian, Frenchmen, and Englishman who had been there. Panic began to rise in the room as the voices drown out her cries of pain and her hyperventilating breaths.

"LIBERTY? LIEBE! PLEASE SPEAK TO ME!" Ludwig's voice cried out as he kneeled down and lifted her head into his lap. He was trying to keep his voice calm, but there was panic there. He was fighting to stop the worried tears from falling as her blood began to spill out onto her teal colored blouse. He closed his eyes for only a moment before he reopened them and studied her body. He had to know where the blood was seeping from, he had to stop it before it was too late.

Suddenly her voice rang in his ears. It was haunting because of the amount of pain that she was in. "I-it hurts Lud... E-everything h-hurts!!!" Liberty cried, tears pouring from her now dull colored green eyes. She clung to him and tried to force herself to stay awake, a thought came to her mind that worried her. "W-where's Alfred? W-where's my brother? I-is he alright?" Liberty mumbled out as even more fear built within her.

9:02 am

Suddenly yet another wave of pain rammed into him as another wound opened up on his opposite side of his abdomen. He yelped out in pain, but he didn't allow it to stop him from fighting Matthew, Gwen, and Arthur so that he could get back up onto his feet. Blood mixed with his own sweat dripped from his body as he stumbled to his knees. "Alfred! What are you doing you stubborn git!" Arthur snapped at him, his own voice laced with concern as he watched the American struggle.

Alfred slowly stumbled to his feet, a determined look shining in his blue eyes. "I have to get to Liberty, I have to know if she's alright! She's my little sister!" Alfred shouted, his voice a little gruff due to the overwhelming emotions that were coming over him. He too was fighting tears, trying to be strong.

Gwen groaned and shook her head. Though she agreed with Arthur that Alfred shouldn't be trying to move, she had learned long ago to not mess with Alfred when he is determined to complete a goal. She knew it would only be a comfort to the American to know if New York was alive, besides it wouldn't be a bad idea to have them both close to each other since she was the only medic at the moment. "Let him do it Arthur... someone turn on the news and tell us what's happening" Gwen shouted over the noise and confusion.

Suddenly the loud noise of the multiple voices of the other countries ceased when the German shouted at the top of his lungs. "EVERYONE SHUT UP! SIT JOUR ASSES DOWN UND LISTEN, ZHIS IS NOT HELPING AMERICA OR NEW YORK!"

Every country besides Canada, France, Germany and England sat down in their respective seats. After everyone grew quiet again, the Russian in the room quickly did as Gwen had asked and turned on the large television. He tuned the television to CNN news and the headline scrawled across the screen: BREAKING NEWS – PLANE CRASHES INTO THE WORLD TRADE CENTER TOWER.

The countries looked on in horror as they saw the World Trade Center North Tower burning, the smoke billowing from its northeastern side. As Liberty heard this, she began to sob in agony like she never had before.