Chapter Nineteen - The Drone

I saw her saving you at the bell tower. The words repeated in Clara's mind and she stood motionless, questioning what she should be doing. She couldn't deny the fact herself; she'd have to reappear in front of MJ if she did which would ruin the whole 'keeping a secret' thing. "She saved me at the bell tower?" Peter muttered, trying to locate the invisible girl again, he froze when he realised what he had implied with MJ standing three feet away. Clara glowered at Peter, with his few words he had basically revealed everything. "I mean... What bell tower? What are you doing?"

Peter watched as she pulled something metallic from her backpack, his webbing strewn across the surface. "So, does Night-Monkey use the same webs as Spider-Man?"

"Er..." Peter buffered. "Maybe?" He felt something brush up against his arm, at first thinking it was the wind, then realising Clara was standing at his side. He looked over at her, searching as if he was trying to make out her face. Something drew his attention downwards, a dim purple glow hanging by his side.

"Where did you get that?" Peter asked MJ, looking to the device she was holding as he realised what Clara was showing him.

"At- At the square. When you- when Spider-Man, or Night-Monkey or whoever it was - was fighting." She stammered at the sudden intensity of his stare, flinching slightly as he pulled it from her grasp. Peter turned to face what appeared to MJ as open space.

"What... I don't understand." MJ murmured, watching as a purple glow grew in front of them.

Clara raised her hands, watching as the colour intensified. "It's sending out a signal." She thought aloud, reaching towards the device in Peter's hands.

"What the-?" MJ practically screeched, the voice coming from nowhere and MJ took a hasty step back as a third student appeared in front of them, her hands burning with a fierce brilliance. "Is this real?"

Clara and Peter both ignored her, letting her come to her own conclusion. "What is it?" Clara asked Peter, her fingertips brushing against the metallic surface of the object.

As Clara came into contact with it, she jumped backwards, Peter dropping it to the stone floor with the same shock. Around them, a scene erupted into the sky, a giant cloud appearing with streaks of lightning running through it. Within the cloud, a face silently roared at them, sweeping a hand across the bridge. They half expected the floor to crumble beneath them, but it held fast, not a speck of dust shifting.

"The hell was that?" Peter wondered, looking down at the device he had dropped.

"I don't know." Clara answered needlessly, looking around them to see if there had been any onlookers.

"What is it, like some kind of projector or something?" MJ asked, the abnormality of Clara's glowing hands now pale in comparison to what she had just seen.

"Yeah, but it's really advanced." Peter picked the projector from the floor again, holding it even more delicately than he had been holding it last time.

"It... It looked so real..." MJ commented, still looking towards the sky as if the image could reappear at any point.

"Yeah." Clare nodded, her eyes widening still as she connected all the dots of information in her mind. She looked to Peter. "Really real."

"Wait a minute, does that mean that..." MJ asked, finally bringing her eyes back down to their level rather than staring at the point the figure had appeared in the sky.

"The Elementals are fake?" Clara asked. "That doesn't make any sense, because we were there, right? There was fire, and destruction, and... I felt it, Peter, that wasn't a hologram." She told them, remembering the power the being had rained down on her.

"Who would do something like that?" MJ pondered, racking her mind but she didn't know what Clara and Peter knew, but even they had no clue. They all recoiled again, the device bursting to life in Peter's hands as Clara reached for it again. He managed to hold on it this time though, shining it like a torch into the nights sky.

As they watched the seen play out, one solitary figure moved into view, moving from behind the cloud. "Mysterio?" MJ spoke his name.

Peter span to look at Clara with wide eyes, then twisted to face MJ. "I am Spider-Man and I really messed up."

"Wait, you're being serious right now? You're not joking with me?" MJ stammered. "Like you're 100% serious? Because it's not funny."

"No. I'm not joking." Peter assured her.

Clara watched him, her anxiety growing as she did, worry behind Peter's eyes growing into abject horror. "Peter, what did you do?" She asked.

"I was only like 67% sure." MJ mumbled, interrupting before Peter could answer. "Well, 78% when I saw Clara but..."

"MJ..." Peter said, trying to pull her attention to him.

"Why are you here? Why are you on this school trip?" She blurted the questions.

Peter held his hands up, gesturing for her to stop talking. "MJ, look, I know you have a lot of questions. But, we really have to get out of here, okay?"

"Okay, okay." She breathed. Peter turned to rush back to the hotel, MJ following after him. "I can't believe I figured it out!"

Clara looked down at her hands, as the distance between her and the device grew, the colour faded back to the normal sight. "Weird..." She commented before chasing after them, watching how close she got, not wanting anyone to see her hands begin to glow again.

Please comment and vote - It lets me know a you're enjoying it!