Chapter 7

David and Gabriella sit in the living room. They enjoy their alone time while Madison takes a nap. The Tv show is just a background noise. Gabriella straddles him, her hands in his hair, her lips on his. His hands hold onto her waist. There is a constant buzz of her phone. They tried to ignore it at first but it starts to annoy them. Gabriella pulls away and rolls her eyes. She takes her phone and turns it off before she throws it back onto the little table in front of the couch.

"Who was that?" David asks. "Doesn't matter" she pulls him close again and puts her lips back onto his. "Why" he asks in between kisses. She pulls away. "Why what?". "Why doesn't it matter? Tell me". Gabriella wants to get off his lap but he holds her in place. "It was my Ex, okay? He keeps texting me and it fucking annoys me. I told him to stop but he won't". He stares at her like he needs to process her words. "Why would he text you?". "I don't know David. Don't ask me" They don't notice how their voices get louder. "I mean, I don't understand. Why would your Ex text you. Did you meet him? Are you cheating on me?". Her mouth dropped open. She slaps him across the face before she gets up. "Are you fucking serious? I just told you I loved you and you ask me if I'm cheating". She picks up her purse and walks to the front door.

David jumps up and runs after her. "Gabriella wait" He reaches for her wrist and turns her around. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean that". He looks into her eyes. They are red, tears streaming down her cheeks. "Oh you did. You wouldn't have said that if you didn't". She frees her hand from his grip and keeps walking to the door. "Gabriella" he says and grabs her waist. "I'm sorry. It's just....Madison's mom left me for someone else and I'm afraid that it happens again. I don't wanna lose you". "I'm not like that". "How am I supposed to know?". She pushes him away. "Asshole".
"Don't fight". They both turn to the side. Madison stands next to them, her teddy bear in her arms, her eyes red and puffy. She walks over to Gabriella and wraps her arms around her legs. "Don't fight" she says again. Gabriella runs her hands through her black hair. "I'm sorry sweetheart. Daddy and I are just not the same opinion right now". She looks up to David. His eyes are red as well and full of tears. "I'm sorry" he whispers. She looks back down to Madison without a reaction. "Sweetie, I need to go". Madison's grip tightens "No". David picks her up. "Please stay. Let's talk about this". Gabriella shakes her head. "I need some distance right know. You accused me of cheating. You don't trust me". "I do. Gabriella, I'm sorry". "David please don't make this harder than it already is". He opens the door for her. "I love you" he says reaching for her hand. She squeezes it. "I call you". She turns around and walks outside.

He shuts the door quietly and tears start to stream down his cheeks. He looks to his daughter who's head is on his shoulder. "Why were you mean to Gabriella?" she asks. "I don't know honey. I think I was scared that she would leave". Madison tilts her head. "But daddy you told me I don't need to be scared because she wouldn't leave. So why were you?". "I really don't know. I guess I was just stupid". Madison nods "Really stupid. Daddy you have to apologize". She wipes the tears out of his face. He chuckles and presses a kiss to her little hands. "I will"

•••

A couple of hours past. He's been thinking about what to say to her. He's pacing around in the living room, constantly checking his phone to see if she texted. Suddenly there's a knock on the door. He quickly walks over and opens it. "Gabriella" he breaths out. He wants to wrap her in his arms but she stops him. "Let's talk"

They walk into the living room and before she can sit down he takes her hands. "Gabriella I'm so so sorry. I don't know what to say. I was stupid, really stupid, like Madison puts it. I don't know why I said that. I know you would never. Please tell we what I have to do that you believe me when I say I love you". She squeezes his hands. "I know that you love me and I love you too but you hurt me". "I know and I'm sorry, really truly sorry". He falls onto his knee and crawls closer to her. Tears are streaming down his face. "I love you. I need you. Please forgive me. I'll do anything". She giggles and for the first time in hours he has hope. "Anything?". "Anything!". "20 minute back massage, chocolate and a shopping trip. You pay". The tears stop forming in his eyes. "Deal". "30 minutes. No 40". "Deal, Deal, Deal". Okay, but that doesn't mean that I forget. You gotta work to win my trust back". He nods eagerly and crawls even closer to her. "Get up" she says and pulls on his hands. He wraps his arms around her waist. "Can I kiss you?" . "Shut up, idiot" She puts her hands behind his neck and pulls him into a kiss.