Prologue

ೋღ For Mr. Adler, who requested that if any of his students were to write a novel, for them to name an evil female character: Perfidia.
And for Sharon Lee, who always supported my dreams and believed in me.  ღೋ

Long ago, in the times of the ancient, year 4505, four humans crashed on a planet, Dobanus. Two men and two women were aboard the spacecraft, Imber 13. A malfunction in the rockets sent them plummeting down to this unknown planet. The ground where they crashed held a fiery, magical substance that lay deep underneath the earth. This particular spot was the only area where the substance rose to the ground. This mysterious liquid bubbled up from the earth and gathered in little pools of molten scarlet.

   During the crash, the magical substance seeped into the human's wounds and traveled inside their veins. This liquid was called ferven. Once the ferven flowed through their blood, the humans were able to produce enchanted flames. The magical fire could shoot from their fingertips, and be controlled as wished. When one learned how to use and control ferven, they possessed many magical capabilities.

  One of the four, Pruden, a clever and thoughtful man, studied the art of ferven and strived to learn its powers. Over time, he learned all he could about this mysterious element and became a master of the gift. Pruden discovered that once the ferven lived in their blood, the power would never leave them. If two who possessed ferven passed it down, all of their descendants would also have the gift.

Cassius, the other man, was power-hungry and desired to rule the planet with his new power. He married Ruo, one of his companions, desperate to pass down his gift to his children. Ruo gave birth to 6 children, three boys, and three girls. Pruden however, did not want children, but he married Bellus, the other woman, to keep her safe from Cassius. Pruden distrusted his cunning friend and was wary of his ambitions, knowing he would go far to achieve what he wanted.  Pruden's love for Bellus bonded them deeply, and soon Bellus brought four children into the world. He raised his kids with love, teaching them how to use Ferven for good.

Cassius, Pruden, Ruo, and Bellus established the Imberian Empire, naming it after their spaceship, Imber 13. Pruden suggested having one emperor to rule the planet, but they did not have absolute power. The emperor would share power with his wife and trusted officials. Everyone agreed, and the two women voted that Pruden should rule as emperor.

   Cassius disagreed. He was the rightful leader because of his strength and authority. Ruo and Bellus sided with Pruden, arguing he was wise and generous. Cassius flew into a rage and shot dark flames: black, monstrous, uncontrollable ferven that could only be made when one is full of hatred and evil. Pruden defended himself against Cassius' violent attacks, leading to the first ferven duel. The fight ended when both men had tired out and surrendered.

Bellus offered that each of them creates a league. Their league was like a group or clan that had its own traditions, military, and way of life, but all leagues were ruled under one emperor. They agreed, and so, the leagues were created.

The Keltan league was established, with Bellus as its head. Ruo created the Aratorian league, wanting to keep her daughters away from Cassius' dark influence. He built the Valcan League and took his sons with him. Each league had a territory of equal size, bordering the two other leagues. In the center, where all leagues connected was the Imberian Palace. The emperor was to live in the middle of the leagues, having quick access to each territory.

One question remained unanswered. Who was to be emperor?
After discussing with each other, the four came to a solution. Pruden was crowned Emperor after Cassius gave in, but this wasn't the end of his hunt for power. A league wasn't enough for him. He wanted more. He trained desperately, yearning to be the strongest. He learned the evil side of ferven: dark actions meant to inflict pain, suffering, and destruction. After months of brutal training, Cassius planned his vengeance.

  He killed Pruden in his sleep. He then threatened to murder Bellus and her children if she did not swear an oath to be faithful to him. Out of fear, Bellus obliged, and Cassius ruled with absolute power.

   Bellus' sons, Arlo and Marc, wanted to avenge their father. Together they deceived and killed Cassius. Arlo was voted emperor after he designed an oath.  A promise each leader had to swear: to never conquer the leagues, to share authority, and to maintain the peace of the land. The children of Bellus and Ruo married, passing down their gift to all generations.