1 - Setting the Trap

The mystic cry of a viro echoed through the night. She spread her silver-blue wings and glided silently over the resting city. Lordera slowly closed its eyes and slept. As his people entered their own world, Julius Angevin was burning with excitement. His misty gray eyes focused on a house by the market. Any second now...

It was one of the few houses which still had lights on. In the upper room (which Julius knew to be the bedroom), lights flashed. It was a pattern of ons and offs which he recognized immediately. Julius jumped to his feet, grabbed his cloak, ran quietly past his parent's bedroom, down the stairs, and out the door. Throwing the black hood over his head, he jogged quickly down the street. A wide smile crept across his face as he thought of his best friend and sidekick, Torin Navarro. The duo was known for their pranks and mischief in the city. He laughed softly at the image of Mr. Hara's face, contorted in fury. Tonight, they were setting a trap, so the next time Mr. Hara took a step outside, he'd get a sweet and sticky surprise.

Moonlight fell gloomily on the cobblestone streets, dimly lighting his path. For a reason he could not explain, Julius loved being under the stars. The peaceful sounds, crisp air, and calm stills of solitude all filled him with warm content. It was one of the reasons why he enjoyed causing mayhem. Being out at night with no one but his best friend and secretly plotting against their neighbors made his adrenaline flow excitedly.

Julius slowed his pace as he grew closer to the market. He turned off his street and onto the main road which connected to every part of the city. Shadows danced along the concrete walls of buildings, taking the form of a kareif and mebry hybrid. Its thick mass of silver fur rippled with each stride as it stalked along the walls. As Julius quickened his pace, the creature followed, flapping its wings of jet black feathers. A large gush of wind met Julius' face, and the winged kareif took off.

"Hey!" someone whispered loudly.

Moonlight shimmered on the animal's glossy fur, illuminating its beauty and creating a white glow around her graceful build. The glow penetrated her chest and expanded until nothing was left but a twinkling star thousands of miles away.

Julius blinked. His imagination faded, and in front of him was a freckled boy with floppy brown hair. "T-Torin!" Julius exclaimed, taken aback. Torin walked over and ruffled Julius' hair.

"What're you doing staring off into the sky?" The boy smiled and added teasingly, "Mooning over Lucille?"

"Oh, shut up," Julius said. He looked away so Torin wouldn't catch him smiling. Lucille was a very pretty girl quite a few years older than him. She worked in the market selling fruits from her farm. Julius often hung around nearby to watch her, although he didn't like to admit it.

"Right!" Torin rubbed his hands together. "Let's start! Have you got the dulan juice?"

Julius swallowed uncomfortably as he realized that the dulan juice lay untouched and waiting at his house. "Erm..."

Stop acting like a girl and fantasizing about animal hybrids!

Torin looked at him expectantly. "I uh, think I left it at my house," he answered.

Torin rolled his eyes and said, "Well go get it! I'll set up the bucket."

Julius dashed down the street and made his way back home. A sad, yet harmonious song rang through the air. His footsteps were silenced by the angelic echo which grew louder as he approached his house. Shimmering silver-blue feathers stood out immensely on the chocolate brown concrete walls of 820 Nelmus drive. Perched on the roof stood a viro, one of the most majestic creatures to walk his planet. Julius' gaze was fixed upon it as if he were in a trance, the calming voice emptying his mind of all emotion.

  A deep rumble that sounded like an approaching storm came from the North. Darting his eyes back to the viro, Julius started toward the door, hoping to grab his camera and take a photo. As he approached, the viro took off. Its wings of starlight flapped soundlessly as Julius watched it soar over the dark sea of roofs. Nobody had ever managed to get a picture of a viro up close. As peaceful as the creature was, they avoided humans. For centuries the viros were animals of peace and comfort, always considered a sign of hope during dark times. Julius often wondered when he watched them fly gracefully above his city, why they were fearful of such quiet people.

He successfully obtained the dulan juice without making too much noise (He knocked over the container which resulted in a loud thud) and hurried back to where Torin had already set up most of the trap. A large wooden bucket hung above Mr. Hara's door, secured by a nail that usually held a sign. The nail was smooth with no head, allowing Mr. Hara to switch signs by sliding them on or off. This made it extremely easy for the boys to replace welcome messages with a bucket of sticky dulan juice.

Julius pulled out a ball of twine and secured it to the bucket, attaching the end tightly to the door handle. The juice bucket titled precariously, but stayed firm and didn't tip over. When the handle is pulled down, the string would tighten and send the juice flowing down onto Mr. Hara. The boys had used similar tactics in past adventures and were confident for their prank to work. Grinning at each other, the two friends quietly set off to their homes.