Chapter 4

Octavian POV

           I wake up to see a sleeping Rachel and an early morning sky. I think about it, I can't hide my feelings although I do try. I usually take the path of sadness and anger because it's the easiest to travel. But love can get in the way. Love taints my life, the fact that I love Rachel sits in the back of my mind. There's nothing I can do about it. Love is like a poison it takes over and can only be healed if the one you care about loves you back.
            And Rachel does not love me back. It's the sad truth that makes my heart ache. Yes I can be cold and rude, but when Rachel's around I can't help but feel reassurance.
            I'm insane, driven by the loss of my loved ones. I'm drowning in a pool of blood and regret. And there's nothing I can do to heal. I had love for my family, but like I said it was poison. After their death I never healed. I choose to live on anger and despair, hoping that I would never feel love again, but here I am.
            I wonder if Rachel could ever love me back, but I know that it is not possible. After all I'm a maniac. No one wants to be around the crazy Roman dude. Well maybe except for Estella. But that's different she's a good friend.
           I need to hide it. I must cover up my tracks. If I don't, I fear that my heart will only break even more. My eyes are full with pain and regret. Each day I go on with the same attitude and hatred. I grew cold ever since that day my family was killed, engulfed in flames. I am now broken and torn apart. I am driven by madness.
           It's best that I leave this place as soon as possible. Good thing that we are leaving this dreadful camp today. I don't think that I could go through another day seeing Rachel and knowing that I can never be with her.
           I quickly pack my things in my backpack and head outside. I look around. I breath in the fresh morning air and look up at the cold gray sky. I then quickly begin heading towards camp, walking on the damp grass. Perhaps Rachel can be happy now that I'm leaving. She can once again have the cave to herself.

Rachel's POV
            I wake up to the sound of peace and quite. Which can only mean one thing, Octavian is gone. I look over to Octavian's old bed to see that he has in fact left. All his processions are gone, and the bed is neatly made. I couldn't help but feel pain, the fact that he didn't say goodbye hurt. But then again he never really cared about me. I quickly change into jeans and a paint splattered t-shirt. Then I start sprinting out of the cave.
            What are you doing? Says my self doubt. You are not going to confess! I just shake my head and continue running, while jumping over low branches and skimming past bushes. I think about it and wonder what I'm really doing. Should I really confess? No I can't, but I will say goodbye. Something he forgot to do...
             Once I'm at the camp I run straight past the sleepy campers and straight into a crowd of Greeks saying goodbye to the Romans, who are all stuffed inside a bunch of black SUVs. I scan each car for Octavian, but I'm too far away, and can't really see through the tinted windows.
            The cars start to leave. I try to blink back a few tears but some still run down my cheek. Good thing no one notices, but my heart feels broken, incomplete. Every single car leaves except for one. All the campers from the crowd have already gone back to their usual lessons and training. I walk towards the car, and peak through the window to see that no one is inside. More tears start streaming down my cheeks. What am I doing? I'm never like this, since when do I ever cry or break down? Love is so painful, so destructive. I can now see why Aphrodite likes Ares so much.