Chapter 2: The Diner

Luckily for me, Sydney and I really bonded over lunch, and discovered that we have almost all of the same classes, so it's unlikely for me to ever be alone. It all went too fast, if you ask me. 

But anyway, here we are now, in the last class of the day, and it couldn't be going any fucking slower. Staring at these questions isn't helping either. Math is fucking hard, oh my God. I'm suffering here. 

Just as I start staring at the last question on the page, the bell rings signalling the end of hell - I mean school - for today, so I pack up my stuff and then make my way over to Syd's desk. That's right, she lets me call her Syd now.

"So how was your first lesson of impossible questions?" she asks as I approach.

"Impossible," I answer. "There's no other word for it."

"Exactly, Mrs. Green hates all of us so much, she only makes them impossible because of that."

"Math is complete bullshit anyway though."

"True. Anyway, let's go, we can't keep Dina waiting."

*Time skip*

"So he's standing there, trying to get by, and he's all like 'who's the new girl in town?' and I'm like 'shut up, it's me, Dina'," Dina says, telling us a story from earlier in the day.

"Right, this is Brad Lewis?" Syd asks.

"Who the fuck is Brad?" I ask.

"The school player and asshole. Football team, all that shit," Syd answers.

"Oh, come on, he's actually kinda sweet. But anyway, after that, he asked me to homecoming." 

"Did you accept it?" I ask.

"No. I told him to take his washboard abs and his chiselled jawline and get out of my face." Syd and I are now wearing shocked faces. I may not know this guy, but from what Syd said, he sounds like one of those stereotypical popular jocks. "Yeah, of course I said yes!" My face changes into a smile, but I see that Syd still holds her shocked face.

"Oh my God, you had sex with him, didn't you?" she asks. Dina smiles guiltily in return. Is this what friends talk about? "Holy shit. No way! Holy shit! You gave Bradley Lewis your p-card?!" Oh God. Dina shushes her, laughing. "Please tell me he used a condom, because--"

"Yes, of course. I know." Dina goes into a fit of giggles. And I just sit there. Having no idea what to think or say.

"So, are you two boyfriend and girlfriend now?" I ask. "Because it sounds very sudden and out of the blue." Syd nods in agreement.

"I mean, we haven't put a label on it yet, but..." She looks at us, obviously seeking approval. "I really like him, okay? Besides, you haven't even met him yet, Y/N, how can you already have an opinion on him?"

"I don't. But from what's been said, he sounds like the stereotypical popular guy. And that's never good. I'm just saying, be careful. If I'm wrong, I'm sorry, but I'm going off of what I have."

"Just give him a chance. Both of you." She looks between the two of us again before training her eyes on Syd. "Oh, come on, Syd, there's gotta be someone you sort of like. Just a little." I look at Syd too. Being part of a conversation is hard.

"I don't know. I just guess I haven't really thought about it." Syd looks at me. 

"Well, think about it. And then maybe we can all go to homecoming together, like a double date thingy. Maybe even triple, if Y/N here finds someone she likes here."

I shake my head. "No, I've never really liked anyone. Romantically, I mean."

"Well, maybe that will change." I look down at the table, embarrassed, until I hear a voice.

"Hey, babe," a guy says, causing me to look to see who it is, along with Syd.

"Hey!" Dina said.

"Sorry I'm late."

"All good, babe."

"Is this Brad?" I ask Syd, extremely quietly. I don't get a verbal response. Instead, I just get a small nod.

"Hey Syd. Newbie."

"Bradley."

"Hi," I mumble.

"Do you think your mom could hook us up with some burgers?" he asks, completely ignoring me. This guy is so rude. I already hate him. Syd's not just here for burgers. "They're just so great here."

"Huh. She's not working today," Syd says through gritted teeth. I tense my shoulders, uncomfortable with the situation.

"I was just asking," says Brad, a fake smile plastered on his face. 

"Ok," Syd says, still through gritted teeth.

"Want a burger, Brad? Let's get a burger. I've got some cash," says Dina, breaking the awkwardness and spite.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

"Wanna share one, babe?"

"Yeah. Oh, ketchup." Dina takes a fry and then gets up to find some ketchup, causing Brad to get up and let her out, sitting back down afterwards, stealing a chip. Thanks for asking, asshole.

"So... Dina's just great, isn't she?" Brad asks, obviously not actually interested in conversation.

"Mhm," replies a disinterested Syd.

"I guess," I mumble.

"Jesus, do you ever smile?" Brad asks Syd, ignoring me yet again. His question is followed by a scoff. I really hate this guy. 'Sweet guy' my ass, Dina. Speak of the devil, here she comes now.

"So, what have we decided?" she asks, focusing all attention to putting ketchup on the fries and Brad.

"Whatever you want, babe. You gotta try one of these fries," Brad states, stuffing his face. He's a pig, oh my God. Syd starts glaring at him, obviously as pissed as me, until he gets a fucking nosebleed out of nowhere.

"Um, Brad. Your nose is bleeding," I point out. He puts a finger under his nose and feels the blood.

"Oh, shit," he says.

"Oh my God," Dina says, offering him a load of tissue. I look over at Syd, and she's in shock again.

"You ok?" I ask her quietly. She doesn't respond at all.

"Oh, fuck," I hear Brad say, making me look back over.

"Are you ok?" Dina asks.

"Yeah, fine. Just give me a minute." 

"Take a tissue," Dina instructs, even though he's holding like a million to his nose.

"Gimme a minute, alright?" Brad groans.

"I think we should go," Syd says, getting up, making me move too, so that she can get out. 

"Yeah. Good luck," I say as Syd drags me out of the diner.

--------------------

Don't worry, Stan will be in the next chapter, I promise. I just didn't want to make the chapter too long, so the next chapter will be the walk home, and whatever else fits.
-dontjudgemepeeps