chapter 4+5 Who?

I'm working, again.

to  keep Mare and Kilorn here and safe.

I was walking through out the Silver market. running around doing what Silvers wanted. It wasn't uncommon to get a shove and or kick.

when I hear this announcement came.

" Silvers of Norta, we apologize for the interruption. Thirteen minutes ago there was a terrorist attack in the capital." The Silvers around me gasp, bursting into fearful mummers. I can only blink in disbelief. Terrorist attack? On the Silvers? 

Is that even possible?

"This was an organized bombing of government buildings in West Archeon. According to reports, the Royal Court, the Treasury Hall, and Whitefire Palace have been damaged but the court and the treasury were not in session this morning." The image changes from the woman to footage of burning buildings. Security officers evacuate the people inside the while nymphs, water  manipulators, blast water onto the flames. Healers, marked by a black-and-red cross on their arm, run to and fro among them. " The royal family was not in residence at Whitefire, and there are no reported casualties at this time. King Tiberias is expected to address the nation within the hour." 

The silver around went into chaos. Angry and breaking things and yelling. Reds around are being drowned and thrown around.

Mare and Gisa.

Mare told me her plan this morning.

I run to find them, turning corners, sliding down stair railings.

When I found them I was terrified.

Mare was being held back by a Silver, she was thrashing and trying to break free. Gisa was on her knees and was being held by her arm, but she wasn't fighting. when the butt of a gun hit her hand she let out a cry. As soon as the as Gisa was done crying, the Silver crowd dispersed.

I ran up to them as fast as I could. Mare had a look in her eyes that had never seen before, she just jumped into my arms. I patted her head, and whispered calming words.

"Lets get Gisa home." I say. she nods and grabs Gisa's bag. I take Gisa into my arms and hold her bridal style. she puts her head into my neck. Mare doesn't say a word on the way back, and I didn't try to start any conversation ether. 

We walk in and the looks on Mares parents faces could kill. I took Gisa to her room, her mom helped me get her settled. I came back out into the living room and Mares father was there. No Mare. It took one look into his eyes and I knew that she ran, and it was getting dark. Before he could speak I answer his question. 

"I'll find her and bring her back." I say, and he nods.

I run out the door, with no intention of coming back without her.

  ~~~~~~

I was looking for Mare and I see her shes with a man, he's tall and If  I half to guess, a lumber. 

"Thief." He growls. Mare was about to say something, but I step in. I sweep a leg under his. he stumbles back, but doesn't fall. I put an arm in front of her. effectually making her step back. 

"Olivia!" she says surprised. 

The man stares at me, scrutinizing everything from my face to my worn boots. Its makes me squirm. I can only stare at him. When a silver coin spins through the air, I barley have the wits to catch it.  a tetrarch. A silver tetrarch worth one whole crown. Far more than any pennies I can steal. 

"That should be more than enough to tide you over," he says before I can respond. In the light of the Inn, his eyes glint red-gold, like my eyes when I use my fire manipulation.

 he's silver 

I cover up the shock on my face in an split second.  

"why?" The words comes to me hard and harsh. After a day like this, how can I be anything else. The question takes him aback and he shrugs. "you need it more than I do." 

I want to throw the coin back in his face, to tell him I can take care of myself. "thank you." I force out through gritted teeth. Somehow, he laughs at my reluctance. 

"Don't hurt yourself." Then he shifts, taking a step closer. He is the strangest person I've ever  met. "You live in the village, don't you?" 

"Yes."  I reply, gesturing to myself and Mare. With my faded hair, dirty clothes, and defeated eyes, what else could I be? He stands in stark contrast, his shirt fine and clean, and his shoes are soft, reflective leather. He shifts under my gaze. Playing with is collar. 

I make him nervous.

He pales in the moonlight, his eyes darting. "Do you enjoy it?" he asks, deflecting. "living there." His questions almost makes me laugh, but he doesn't look amused. "Does anyone?" I finally responds, wondering what on earth hes playing at. But instead of retorting swiftly, snapping back like Kilorn would, he falls silent. A dark look crosses his face. "Are you heading back?" he says suddenly, gesturing down to the road.

"Why, scared of the dark?" I drawl, folding my arms across my chest. But in the pit of my stomach, I wonder if I should be afraid. He's Silver, he's strong, he's fast, and it's just you and Mare alone. 

His smile returns, and the comfort it gives me is unsettling. "No, but I want to make sure you two keep your hands to your selves can't have you driving half the bar out of house and home can we." Mare has already stated walking. 

"I'm Cal, by the way." he adds, stretching out a hand to shake. I don't take it, Instead I set off down the road after Mare. "Olivia Teron." I tell him over my shoulder, and it doesn't take his long legs to catch up. "And that up there is Mare Barrow."

"So you always this pleasant?" he prods, and for some reason, I feel very much like I'm being examined. But the cold sliver in my hand keeps me clam, reminding me of what else he has in his pockets  

Silver for Farley, How fitting. 

"The lords must pay you well for you to carry whole crowns," I retort, hoping to scare him off the topic. It works beautifully and he retreats. 

"I have a good job" he explains, trying to brush it off.

"so you steal." he say still avoiding the topic 

I steal. " Its the best I can do," falls from my lips.

"My friends sister has a job though."  not anymore 

Cal watches me battle with my word, wondering whether or not to correct myself. It's all I can do to keep my straight, to keep from breaking down in front of a complete stranger. But he must see what I'm trying to hide. "were you at the Hall today?" I think he already knows the answer. "The riots were terrible." 

"They were." I almost choke on my words.

"Did you...," he pauses in the quietest, calmest way. It's liking poking a dam whole, and it comes spilling out. I couldn't stop the words even if I wanted to.

I don't mention Farley or the Scarlet Guard or even Kilorn. "It's the best I can do." I say again until my voice gives out entirely. Then the Silver in the corner of my eye.  He's holding up another coin. In the moonlight, I can just see the outline of the kings flaming crown stamped into the metal. When he presses it into my hand. 

I don't want your pity, I feel like screaming, but that would be foolish. This coin will pay for what Gisa no longer can.
"I'm truly sorry for you Olivia. Things shouldn't be like this." I can't even summon the strength to frown.
"There are worse lives to live. Don't feel sorry for me."

Mare and I part ways at the edge of her home.
"Say hi to your family for me." I tell her and give her a hug, I go to pull away but she stays in the embrace.
"Its okay. I have go work."

"This late?" She asks.

"I told you guys, anyway possible, I'm keeping you and Kilorn here."