chapter three

will walked nico back to his dorm and lilac, his dorm mate held the door open, as she'd been waiting for him. she waved good-bye to will. "ciao!" she called. "ciao!" he called back, waving back. will's mate was a guy named jay, who was from the philippines. he was a demigod as well, a son of poseidon. will walked quietly into their dorm. jay was an upperclassman, a year older than will. jay, as usual, was asleep on the couch. there was a letter written to camp half-blood, to his sister and a friend, matthew, a son of hephaestus.

will checked the time on the microwave. it blinked at him, displaying a bright blue 20:45. he opened the microwave, gazing at the possible dinner choices. there was a ton of ramen and other cheap foods: frozen pizzas, sandwich materials, and other pastas. nico liked pasta, jay liked pizza, and will was okay with whatever landed on his plate other than seafood. nico and lilac sat up at their kitchen table, with notecards. lilac had a few problems remembering her words. in itialian, she was elegant, but in english, she struggled.

nico held up a notecard, and she studied the word. "w-wel...come?" she managed. "good! that's great! one more and then we can go to sleep. i'm exhausted." she nodded. she understood english quite well, but speaking it herself was a pain. he held up another. "ah! good-bye!" she said proudly. "exactly." he sat down the cards and headed for his room. "goodnight, lilac." "ah." she called back, and he smiled. she was coming along. nico changed into a pair of pajamas he'd gotten from will for christmas the year before.

it was decorated with skulls that wore holiday hats. he flopped onto bed and pulled out his book for astronomy. tomorrow he had astronomy, home economics, and business ethics. he was so ready to sleep. christmas break approached, and he was ready to be curled up in his father's palace with cerberus and the skeleton cat he'd adopted that he called snowbones, opposed to snowball.

keith, in his dorm, sat up watching television with lance. lance was asleep on top of him. the television gave view to a newer jacksepticeye video in which he played sally face that he'd been waiting on for months. lance once asked him why he watched other people play games, and keith explained that he liked watching the reactions and that he, as a college student, could barely afford food. he knew his college debt was going to pain when he finally graduated. who needs nightmares when you have student debt?

the night passed quickly for nico as he fell asleep, face first in his book and for lance, who was asleep on his boyfriend. keith fell asleep after his video was done, barely being able to hold his eyes open five minutes until the end. will sat up at his desk in his bedroom. he played music, listening as he study anatomy. will wanted to be a doctor, and his father promised to pay his debts. athena fought in the form of a young lady to make education free and zeus whispered in the ears of the hard of hearted to please his daughter.

in another place, a young woman haunted nico's dreams. she said to nico, "go to the oracle. if you don't rescue me, they will take to olympus four days after the solstice." meanwhile, percy jackson slept in his cabin, across from his sister. his sister stirred and he was grabbed by the collar in his dreams. "perseus jackson, i demand you go to san fransisco and-" the voice was drowned out by the sound of waves crashing against rocks as his dream morphed to a scene of him standing on the beach in front of young woman caged. "perseus, please!" he'd met her. he knew it. he felt it. he bolted awake.

gasping and drenched in his own sweat, he festered in his bed and abandoned his shirt. he shook his sister awake. "callista!" he said loudly. "nghhh…" she replied sleepily. "wake up! it's hestia!" he said and she sat up. "hestia?" he nodded. "she….she sent me a message. she's in trouble," he said and callista wiped her face. she drooled in her sleep too. "i think someone else knows too." "i'm sure they do. what do i do?" "tell chiron tomorrow. let's sleep for now." he nodded. "good idea." they laid back down. "nope." they said in unison and got up again, dressing.